Pyrodex vs Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I know that somewhere on here this has been covered but I'll ask again. If I have a given load of Pyrodex RS that gives me say 1500 FPS velocity and wanted to switch to Triple 7 2F. How much do I cut my load by to get the same performance? I beleive it is 15% but I'm not sure. I know that you cut a load of Triple 7 3F by 15% to equal the performance of Triple 7 2F.

Hornet22savage said:
Now I know that somewhere on here this has been covered but I'll ask again. If I have a given load of Pyrodex RS that gives me say 1500 FPS velocity and wanted to switch to Triple 7 2F. How much do I cut my load by to get the same performance? I beleive it is 15% but I'm not sure. I know that you cut a load of Triple 7 3F by 15% to equal the performance of Triple 7 2F.

Here you go. . .

http://hodgdon.com/

Under the Item "Data", there is "Muzzleloading data"
Click on Muzzleloading data

That gives you the velocities of your powders vs the bullet/ball.

First thing they say, is that Pyrodex and triple 7 "Pellets" were developed to preform the same. One may be a little cleaner than the other, but they are built to have the same velocities, barrel pressure, and same volume measurements.

I would not worry that much about being exact on velocity. When you are traveling at 1500 FPS, +- 10 percent is hardly negligible on target impact. I can probably say +- 200 fps is hardly negligible in target impact for the first 150 yards. or so.

Without going through any Calculus or equations, I am guessing about 1" at most at 150 yards.

This is why I shoot Pyrodex vs triple 7. It is 10 dollars cheaper here, and the performance is the same. Pyro may be a little dirtier, but heck. . .I have to clean my gun anyhow. . .so why not enjoy the time cleaning it too.

I've always liked Pyro better than T7. There's something about the sugar based carbon in T7 that locks up parts like nipples, breach plugs, and has more crud ring. I can load way more shots without swabbing with Pyro.

Pyro is also closer to real BP, and smells the same when fired. I happen to like the smell of burned sulfur.

I'm going to experiment with a T7 primer and Pyro today to see how the crud ring is. If it's no worse than T7 powder with an #11 cap. I'll go with the Pyro/primer combo.

Deep down i've hated T7 from the first day I tried it.

To answer your question. The differerence between Pyro 2F and T7 2F is suppose to be 15%. The difference between 2F and 3F of the same powder is suppose to be 10%.

I'm not sure it always works out to that.

Back