Question for you high altitude fishermen.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Has anyone here eaten golden trout? My brother and I spent (wasted) a few hours fishing for them up in the Wind River range (Wyo.) while on a sheep hunt but never caught one. I always wondered if they were worth a flip as far as eating. I've read that they are real oily and not that good. At least not good like a cutthroat or rainbow is.

We (my family) caught some huge brook trout in New Brunswick one summer when the kids were small. 2 fish fed the four of us.

can't say I've even heard of a golden trout!  Have any of you ever tried Trouser Trout?

That's a joke, what's the punch line?

Golden trout are native to the high mountain streams and lakes of California. They can live in almost sterile (no food) water at elevations around 12,000 feet. They have been dropped by air into several mountain lakes in western states that had no large fish populations. They only get about 9"-11" in those lakes due to little food (if I remember correctly).

thats interesting! I'll have to read up on those as thats a new one for me.

Colorado has some golden trout, but it's not cool to talk about where they are. They're rare.

Personally, I think a spawning brook trout is a better looking trout, and taste way better.

Muley said:
I think a spawning brook trout is a better looking trout, and taste way better.
I thought you said you never ate one. That was the original question.

Well, I like them, have caught quite a few. Variety is the spice of life as far as I'm concerned. If I only ate, say rainbow trout, after a while I'd want to catch something different to eat. My golden trout were not oily, and sure, were different, but I enjoyed them. Please don't ask where I catch mine, I sorta forgot. ha ha ha

Latest posts

Back