Remington 700 SPS 300 Remington Ultra Magnum 26"bbl

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapper444

Reaction score
Remington 700 SPS 300 Remington Ultra Magnum 26"bbl

I am thinking of having a muzzle brake put on my 300RUM when i lay flat to shoot it is bad & i am going to put a Boyd's Thumbhole Lam Forest camo stock on ut as well this gun will never be sold just pass on when i am gone to my grandson i am gonna make it a nice rig . I have heard that a muzzlw brake makes the rifle much louder & if this is true i wear hearing protection while praticing anyway what do any of you fellas think about a muzzle brake

Re: Remington 700 SPS 300 Remington Ultra Magnum 26"bbl

Muzzle brakes on pistols work great.
I have one on a .338-06 Improved rifle that is like the Browning 'BOSS' that doesn't seem to do anything except add weight and length to the end of the barrel. I have heard that the recoil compensators that go in the stock work wonderfully.

Muzzle brakes will "blow" your eardrums out if you don't wear hearing protection. Some guides in Africa won't allow you to hunt with one in order to protect their hearing.
If they have holes all around (360 degrees), you shouldn't use them in the prone position because they will blast dirt and dust all over and obscure the target plus blasting crap into your eyes.

If you lay flat with a muzzle brake. You'll get dirt flying up. If you do it. The Vais brake is the quietest one to use. I used to have one.

The noise problem is more a problem for others standing near you, than the shooter. Most guides will make a client take the brake off for hunting.

You also won't be popular at the range.

"You also won't be popular at the range"

Bingo!!!!

i have an intense hatred of muzzle brakes.  Ran a sheriff's deputy off my range when he showed up with a .325 Winchester Short Mag with a muzzle brake.  There is one bench on that range and i ain't going to sit opposite a right hander while he fires a gun with a muzzle brake.

The mercury recoil arrestors work quite well so you don't really need a muzzle brake .

You say you're going to restock the rifle as well so why not make it heavier as that will absorb some of the recoil too.

Have a look on Brownells site .

Also make sure the stock is as straight as you can get .(meaning the comb must be high and nearly in line with the centerline of the bore and the heel as high as possible to make the rifle recoil straight back.)

That way you make the felt recoil a lot less.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Yeah, the 'Classic' stock  like the Remington 'Classic' 700 has is the best shape for felt recoil.
Monte Carlo stocks will knock the crap out of you if you use them.

Pato you're right , some rifles with their designer stocks knock the sh1t out of the shooter !

"Monte Carlo stocks will knock the crap out of you if you use them."

A right handed friend fired my left hand Mathieu with its rollover cheek piece. It nearly tore him up.

Lucky he didn't shoot the gun backwards.

Same as with the Rolling blocks and High Wall rifles . If you fire heavy charges they kick like hell !

Latest posts

Back