Rust in barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overdue Bill

Reaction score
Rust in barrel

Hoping you folks don't get tired of me asking questions but someone always seems to have the answers.  My .54 has what looks like rust in the grooves.  The lands don't look so bad.  It isn't rough and the rifle patterns pretty good but I can't get rid of this (what looks like) rust.  I've tries brass muzzle brushes, WD 40 etc. but it doesn't appear to get any better. Any suggestions?   Thanks

Re: Rust in barrel

There is some stuff called Evaporust that may work. I have never used it myself so check it on a small area first. When oiling the bore try just regular oil instead of WD-40. now somebody is going to come along and say you can't use a petroleum product in a BP rifle. Don't believe them. I use water soluble oil for patches and to clean my guns and have no issues at all. I think are repeating what they have read and not what they have tried.

If in doubt just clean the oil from the bore before you shoot the gun. I just shot my 45 Hawken last saturday and fired 25 or so shots all with round balls patched in water soluble oil mix. And used the same to clean the barrel when I got home.

Mate you could try a small piece of brillo pad soaked in oil, that should shift the rust and as it is a hard plastic it will not damage your bore. Try cleaning with warm or cold water,  I dry the barrel with a few flannel patches, then a shot of wd40 to get rid of any moisture, wipe that out and I prefer virgin olive oil on a wool mop, then check the bore a few days later and wipe out again if there is any red on the patch.

It's a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle..  Had it for years and done pretty well with it for deer but somehow let this rust get in there.

Guess I've been "posting my replies" wrong.  I received and appreciate the replies from burrlesontom, Heelerau and Frontier Gander.  My rifle is a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle.  I've had it for many years and done fairly well with it on Whitails but somehow (???) I let this rust collect.

Okay, I normally used .018 patches in those rifles.

My shootout lube would remove everything from the rust to any small pitting left behind.

Swab to bore clean. Then try this below,

Not sure what lube you are using, but try putting the barrel on the stove on the medium heat setting & heat the barrel up till its uncomfortable to the touch and you need some pot holders to handle it.

Have a few dry patches on hand and run them up and down the bore. See any residue?

Maybe your lube is causing a stain reaction of some sort and this is what you are seeing.

Thanks Founder, I'll try that.  Your "shoot out lube" sounds kind of interesting.

I have rifles that may not get used ver often, fortunately WA is a dry state, I do run a cleaning rod through every now and then, but have been fortunate not to have a red rag come back out.  I am sure at the least a dozen or so shots will clean out the grooves if you don't have a bit if brillo pad. 
  I reckon FG has got the measure of it, never thought of a slighty abrasive patch lube, reckon it would be a good idea. Thanks too from me for that idea
Cheers

Rust in the barrel

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions I received to help to get rid of the coating of rust in my barrel.  I worked my but off 'till my poor old screw up shoulder wouldn't take any more.  Burlesontom mentioned "Evaporust".  I read a zillion super great reviews, bought some, plugged the nipple hole etc., filled the barrel with Evaporust, left it for 9 hours, poured it back in the can (as per instructions), rinsed out the barrel and presto, it's just like a bran new barrel.  That stuff is great.  One problem---I got some on the outside of my browned barrel and to the evaporust rust is rust so I messed up the browning. The rifle is at least 40 years old anyway so it really needed rebrowning.  Now I just have to find out how to do that.    Thanks everyone.

I used Evaporust on one muzzy barrel I purchased on one of the gun auction sites.  Just a coating of very minor rust from just sitting around not being used.  I got the same results as Overdue Bill,  nice clean, like new barrel!

Yeah, just for kicks I put a super rusty 1/4-20 bolt and nut in some of it.  AMAZING!

Back