Sabots for .430 dia bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vaccaro

Reaction score
I noticed last night that Hornady makes their XTP in a 44 cal .430 dia 300 grain round. It's B\C is listed at .245 compared to the 45 cal .452 with a B\C of .180.

With the increased B\C and same weight I would like to give them a try. I'll be contacting MMP soon to get their advice but thought I would bring the info to the surface here as well. Per MMP's web site they list the green sabot for this dia bullet.

Anyone tried them?

Thanks,
Henry

MMP - Green HPH12
should fit the bill for you just fine.

OR Harvesters green crush rib 44cal.

Ron G.

Awesome performance. Also look into Nosler's sabot. It has longer pedals than the MMP. I picked some up for my dad to try. They load a lot easier and perform the same. We didn't actually put it on paper, but he hit the same POI on a rock at 100yds between the 2.

I use the green harvester sabots out of my Black Diamond and Knight Elite

I saw this thread from a couple weeks ago and wanted to put in my .02

The .430 Hornady 300 gr XTP w/ Harvester's Green sabot (not the Crush Rib) w/ two 777 pellets has been the go-to load in my .50 Omega for a few seasons now. Two Pyrodex pellets work also. And the Crush Ribs shoot well, but not as well as the "smooth" Harvesters. The green MMPs did not shoot well in my gun with this bullet (or any other).

My Omega, with a 2 x7 Leupold will shoot this bullet into 1 1/2" all day at 100 yds and often puts three shots under an 1" and the bullet performs beautifully on whitetails. I've killed about a dozen deer with it at ranges of 20 to 170 yds. and it has done very well. All deer fell within 60 yds. and the majority fell on the spot. I have only ever recovered a couple bullets and they expanded well and both weighed over 250 grains. The 170 yd kill was an Iowa 10 point quartering towards me--from a prone position over a terrace I shot him behind the near shoulder and recovered the bullet in his pelvis when we quartered him. The 300 grn .44 XTP penetrated three feet of a buck that dressed 170 lbs. I shot a heavier 11 point three years ago at a lasered 156 yards and he fell on the spot with a high should hit.

I can't say enough good things about this bullet, and it is relatively cheap to shoot--50 bullets and sabots are still about $20 I think. The .45 XTPs get a lot more attention, but the .44-300 grn XTP is more accurate in my Omega and it is a killer.

From having used them in a 44 Mag carbine, I can attest to the fact that the 300 grain XTP is pure death on whitetails.

Seems to me that if using handgun bullets of the same or nearly the same weight, the greater BC and SD of a 44 over a 45 makes the choice one of common sense for hunting.

I have a bunch of 300 XTPs around and all the reviews on Harvester Crush Ribs on the Cabelas site are overwhelmingly positive, so I picked up a hundred.

A big plus is that the 50/44 Crush Ribs are carried in town by Home Of Economy. Our other sporting goods store primarily carries pre-packaged 50/45 bullet/sabots, and no 50/44 sabots alone.

Hopefully I'll get to test them out in the next few days.
I'm going to be trying both two 50/50 Triple 7 pellets and 100 grains equivalent of ffg Triple 7 powder ignited by Winchester Triple 7 primers and Federal Fusion primers.

I anticipate this bullet/sabot & load will be a winner in my Triumph...

Seems to me that if using handgun bullets of the same or nearly the same weight, the greater BC of a 44 over a 45 makes the choice one of common sense for hunting.

It certainly does and of course the higher sectional density of the .429/.430 projectile generally assures better penetration, all things being equal. The one most important factor is accuracy and generally speaking, a .451cal saboted bullet is more accurate in more muzzleloaders ESPECIALLY as velocity/powder charge INCREASES. I have always gotten exceptional accuracy with a variety of .429/.430 cal bullets(Sierra, Hornady, Swift) in .50cal muzzleloaders especially with 80gr-90gr Pyrodex RS. But as powder charges/velocity increased, I had to switch to the 45cal saboted bullet to keep accuracy.

Thanks for the info! When I was researching alternate bullets I couldn't help but hope that they shoot! Cost and terminal performance of the XTP line are hard to beat.

I'll post range results of the 44cal 300 grain XTP when I get a chance to air them out.

Thanks again!
Henry

Latest posts

Back