Scope bites

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a product or rubber type ring that could be placed around the eyepiece of a scope to avoid a scope bite/cut to the nose should heavy recoil cause the scope to make contact with the face/nose? Thanks
I have had that twice in a lifetime of shooting and I would never like to have another.

There probably is something out there available to lessen the effects when this happens. In my experience, good shooting form will minimize this ever happening in the first place. I have found keeping my head as upright as possible when aquiring the sight picture goes a long way to prevent this from occuring. Also, if you lay on the gun you have a tendency to creep forward or drop your head which gets your brow closer to the eyepiece. A proper scope/mount setup and consistent cheek weld/head position is the most important things to start with.

And yes, I have been hammered a few times through the years, mostly at the bench and once when taking a long shot in the prone position with Harris bipods after laying on the gun too long.... Hope this helps.

Bill

I've had it happen to me, once :oops: , and believe me, I learned my lesson. Nothing seems to bleed like a cut to the bridge of your nose and forehead. I was proned out on the ground at the range. didn't have the rifle tight to my shoulder and of course, in that position your eyebrow is closer to the edge of the scope than your eye to the lense. That was 35 years ago and I still remember. This will probably jinx me and next time to the range, POW :? .

Leupold makes rubber guards that screw into the eyepiece threads. I haven't used them myself by you might look into them if you have Leupold scopes. This is the text from the catalog:

Alumina Rubber Eyepiece Guard ? Adds a soft, finishing touch to the eyepiece of your scope to protect you from recoil during extreme uphill shooting angles and from heavy recoiling firearms. They also shade the eyepiece to improve viewing comfort. Two models to fit all Leupold eyepieces.

tooldog

There is a slip-on soft rubber ring you can buy for this. A longer eye relief (like 4") scope helps, too. When you look at scope specs for a inline muzzleloader (or especially a 12 ga slug gun!) , consider the eye relief spec. 3" or 3.5" may not be enough, especially on a lighter weight gun.

Latest posts

Back