Sheds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf_River_Mike

Reaction score
I saw a one horn deer cross the road in front of me this morning. I guess they're beginning to drop there antlers. He had a long spike left. I guessed him to score 12 :D When I got to work I noticed the Bradford Pears are beginning to bloom. :( I'm a little bit depressed :( Oh well, ya gotta go thru spring and summer before you can get back to fall again. :think: :yeah:

Anybody finding any sheds yet?

Shoot Mike living where you do you outta take up Striper fishing, there are some dandys in your part of the state, and prime time is right around the corner.

nope..

Kicked up about 9 deer last weekend while looking for yotes.. A couple of nice bucks still had head gear..

I saw a nice buck last week that still had both of his horns.

Rifleman, that Striper fishing looks like it would be a blast. I have caught a few down below Sardis (MS) spillway a few years back. Throwing jigs out into the boils, standing on the rocks. My biggest was 11 lbs. A couple of guys I was going with caught them up to 18-20 lbs. Never been out on th lake after them though.

They drooped antlers here about a month ago. Actualy during our late season wich is a antlerless season I shot what I thought was the biggest doe I have ever seen. Got up the the deer and it about made me sick when I saw two dried blood spots on his head, was about a 3-1/2 year old buck. This was Jan 12-06.

My cousin found a shed back in December while bowhunting here in IL.
I believe they drop them from Dec thru about mid March with the most about mid to late January thru mid Feb.

Don

To Doohan: Where in Ohio were you coyote hunting? I want to look for sheds in the Sidney, Ohio area but I do not want to look if the bucks still have their racks on. Thanks

Have not found any yet, but have not looked that hard.

I usually find a few during spring turkey season.

jims said:
To Doohan: Where in Ohio were you coyote hunting? I want to look for sheds in the Sidney, Ohio area but I do not want to look if the bucks still have their racks on. Thanks

Jims I'd wait another week or so. I've been driving from wapak to columbus lately and have seen alot of bucks still with antlers.

Usually I start looking the 1st of april around my hunting area[darke county]

A farmer friend of mine said he is still seeing bucks with their antlers. Seems to be later this year for some reason.

I talked to a game warden and he said he saw some big antlered deer in Illinois within the last week. It appears the shed hunting I have done so far was too early. When I burn my tall prairie grass off later perhaps I will find some.

I took the dogs out and looked around for about an hour this morning. We didn't find anything. Nice to be out in the woods though.

It's been over a month since we've been up to our cabin. The last time the bucks still had their antlers. Yesterday was out in the yard a 3 deer walked up to my feeder, all bucks. They had all shed their head gear. While driving around the area have seen lots of deer and none have antlers.

I saw my buddy in Illinois today and he is still seeing bucks with their headgear intact where we want to go shed hunting. The deer aren't pressured there at all, so maybe the theory of the more stress (lack of food, hunting pressure, etc.) the deer have the earlier the bucks drop their headgear.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I burned about 20 acres today. More than I wanted, I got the bean stubble also. I found three sheds, the biggest one was 2 7/8 inches in diameter. Last year I found one 2 3/4 inches. Unfortunately I never see those deer when they have them on their head. There was a great deal of mass to the shed but the tine lengths were not long. The fire "browned" two of the sheds. Mice ate just a bit on two of them. There were no matches, all from three different deer.

At least they were sheds, earlier I found two pretty nice dead bucks. I hate that.

Latest posts

Back