Short Mid Long Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
I not sure when Short Range, Mid Range and Long Range designations were established, but we can all be thankful as it stemmed from ML.
Being that currently in High Power (and International ML) there are designation for ranges.
Short Range: 0-300
Mid Range: to-600
Long Range: to-1000 (1200 too)

I've alway thought for ML, my effective range (hunting) was about 1/3 of a HP. Thinking of the TV shows today, with HP taking kills at 700+ and comparing that with what I know ML's doing it at 300+. Most certainly the gun, load and shooter have to be working well - real well, like 1/2moa or less for a HP and 1moa or less for the ML.
With that, ML (hunting) might better reflect like:
Short Range: 0-100
Mid Range: to-200
Long Range: to-400 (500)

Just for a comparison, I was looking at my .308 ballistic drop and after 5-600 it seemed I should be reading in Feet and not Inches. Made me think of ML, as it seems the same when our bullets get past 2-300, the numbers start getting over 3'. Ex: 22moa = 89" = 7.4' - what easiest for you to quickly put into perspective?
Just thoughts...

52Bore said:

I would agree. If you asked me without posting your #'s, my thoughts would line up exactly the same.
I want to shoot out to 300 this year just to see if I can do it. I'd like to get proficient at 200, so I am confident if that opportunity comes up while hunting. As it is, I'm not comfortable past 150 because I haven't shot enough beyond that.

52Bore said:

what easiest for you to quickly put into perspective?
Just thoughts...

I would agree that what you have above is pretty spot on for in-line rifles. The rifles have more capabilities than 95%+ shooters actually understand.

I Edited to remove content which doesn't apply.

Thanks.
I was excluding anything with a fixed sight. They are limited pretty much to their point-blank-range.
Vernier sights and scopes are what I was thinking.

52Bore said:
Thanks.
I was excluding anything with a fixed sight. They are limited pretty much to their point-blank-range.
Vernier sights and scopes are what I was thinking.

Edited my answer :wink:

Ive messed some with .32 and maxi balls to 100-150. In my mind, its not too far from the response of my .45's at 400+ (drops/windage, etc) Just having range fun really.

Latest posts

Back