shot a freak

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Butcher

Reaction score
It's been poor hunting this year in my area. A disease went through for the second time in the last 7-8 years, they say it is caused by a bite from a midge. Any way, I only saw 19 deer all season. I shot this freak on the last day. Big deer, small rack, but different. I'm calling him the "Goose Foot Buck" makes it sound better. He was broken up, but neat.
2012_1110butchfreakdeer0066.jpg

lol thats awesome looking!! Great luck,i'd have that sucker mounted!

Bowhunting for whitetails...gotta love it. Nothing sweeter Butcher than a last day BOW harvest memory... and a special one at that :!: Congrats :cheers:

Excellent field pic too. He'll make for quite the conversation piece. ;)

( If you get a chance throw us the story behind that hunt :) ).

Thanks for the congrats to all, Not much of a story really. I had the last 4 days of the season off, spent 3 full days from sun up to sun down, in a tree stand. Not seeing much, I decided on the last day, I was going to hunt on the ground and still hunt. At 4:00pm, this buck cam running a doe by me at about 60-70 yds. I could see the broken horn, but could not see points. (we have a 3 points up on the main beam rule)
They made a loop, came at 31 yds (was looking at rack in range finder) and saw the weird horn. Drew the bow, shot, deer, he made two jumps in the field, looked back, and fell over dead. One of the quickest kills with anything. All this in about 10 seconds. The deer falling over only took maybe 3 seconds after the time of the shot. Arrow went in at last rib, pierced the heart, and exited under front leg on opposite side. Statistically, I've killed more deer on the ground with a bow than in a treestand. I've taken 38 deer with a bow, and only 9 have been out of a treestand. I don't know why I bother. I love hunting on the ground and playing the wind. Cool deer though

Whitetails on the ground with a bow :face: ... now that's hunting in it's purest form and a story worth telling. To do it many times over is simply amazing. It's a challenge for me to hunt them with a firearm :lol:

Congratulations and nicely done!

Your hunting is going much better than mine. I have only been able to go out 4 times since season started Nov 10 r/t wifes illness. So far I have seen ZERO deer. My sons tagged some nice ones on opening day- oldest got a 11 point and button buck, youngest got a 9 point. I have over 175# of boned out deer in the freezer.
Hopefully I will get a few more days in (centerfire ends this Tuesday, then its antlerless until Dec 2. Muzzleloader is Dec 15 til 25th). Depends how things go with wife.

Back