Shot a little today...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Might be starting to get somewhere. OK, here's the poop. 50yds again today. The target on the left was the first to come off the board. I was feeling pretty good about things until #3 dropped out of the group. Way out! I had 6 pre-measured loads with me, so I back onto the trigger. #4 + #5 went back up where I wanted them, so I wasn't quite as upset with old #3. Then just to piss myself off again, I dropped #6 out of the group also. The load was 110gr of Pinnacle and a .45 300gr XTP in a Harvester high pressure sabot, & Win 209 primers. I measured a couple charges and weighed them on my loading scale. Came up with 97gr of weight per 110gr of volume,so I loaded up 6 tubes of weighed Pinnacle. Swabbed & dried between shots.

After the target one fracus, I pulled the scope off the Weaver bases and checked them for tightness. All was OK there. I didn't get any movement from any of the screws. Back on with the rings and back in business.

Now for the second target. I took a little break and worked on a couple calls and bullet starters.(I make game calls on the side). Then rounded up some more ammo. This time it was 2 777 pellets, a 777 primer, and Hornady SSTs. I was really down about the XTP target, and wasn't in the mood for them at the moment. The first 3 shots are the upper group. Swabbed between each, and shot in a nasty left right breeze. #4,5+6 went into the lower group. Again I swabbed between each, and the weather conditions held to the same degree of crap. I did notice the last 3 shots were considerably tighter about 6" or so above the charge. I feel better about that target. Someday I hope to get a warm AND calm day to work on the old girl. So far so so.

100_0339.jpg

Hey Grizz, you didn't say what gun you were shooting, but I assume it was the Disc Extreme.

That #3 and #6 shot on target 1 would worry me too, especially at 50 yards. I would have probably checked the scope mounts just the way you did. All of the other shots and the second target tell me it's probably not the gun or load at fault. My guess would be a "sudden and catastrophic loss of concentration" :lol: - easy to do when shooting conditions are crappy.

"Sudden and catastrophic loss of concentration." Now I like that! 8) I can relate. That has been a problem for me. Both on the range and at work,lol. I hope that was what it was. I will run some more of those loads in the near future. I just wasn't up for it twice today. I bet they do better next time. Sure can't be any worse. They seem to hit the backstop with authority. I bet they would be a good hunting load if they come around to shooting decent. I may take the Knight up north to Potter County next fall huntin' bar. The critter, not the establishment. My b-in-law goes up every year, and they usually get into them a couple times every season.

Great shooting Grizz! Looks like you're getting her all dialed in :)
You may want to see how Not swabbing between shots works out. When I use Pinnacle, I don't swab at all, untill I've got the load really on target at 100 yards. Then I swab the barrel clean and dry between shots to simulate First Shot Accuracy with a Clean barrel.

When I have the Fist Shot Clean Barrel right where I want it, then I fire the Second shot on the fouled bore and see where it places, then the third shot also. That Usually does it for the whole season :wink:

Keep posting those reports! 8)

Grizz
I tried Pinnacle and all the other APP powders, most of the time I could get them to shoot good and them I would get a flier when I did not think I should. I switched to 777 and as long as I clean real good between shot it shot good but I got the crudring BAD. Now I shoot BH209 and it is so much better the difference in price don't bother me, besides I hit a sale where I got a case and a half cheaper than 777 by a bunch. Lee

When I shot pinnacle, I never swabbed between shots. Out of my little Wolverine, the stuff shot real good. As for why those two did what they did, could have been a lot of things... changed seating pressure, sabot seated harder then the others, you did not address the rifle the same way. Don't let it shake you. Just try again and see what happens.

Lane,that makes good sense. I have noticed a tendancy for the first shot to go a little higher than the rest. I figured I would look for some bore conditioner to try. Maybe help the first shot accuracy.

Lee, I was wondering if anyone else had fliers with Pinnacle. I'm not saying that was it, but they sure went wide. I'm not saying it couldn't be the opperator, Lord knows it could be,but shooting 100, 200, and 400 yd bench rest has ironed me out a bit. Those 2 shots just didn't feel that bad at the trigger break to go that wide. we'll give the ol'Pinnacle another go when I get out again. I guess I need to bite the bullet so to speak and order some BH209. Yipes, the price and the hazmat fee makes it VERY expensive to order. Probably worth it though.

Grizz, I too have gotten the occasional flyer when using Pinnacle. I do not shoot anywhere near as much as some of the guys on this forum do, so it could be my shooting abilities. I only swab the barrel after the third shot. What i have found is that the very first shot from a clean barrel will usually hit high.

Hey thanks Tom. I'll give you a holler when I get ready to take the plunge. I really appreciate all your help my friend.

Back