Sighting In The Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bompa

Reaction score
What is the prefered way to sight in the 10ml-2 ? Obviously from a bench and then sandbags,shooting vice,shooting bags,etc. Does anyone have any better ideas or methods . Always looking to make something good better....bompa

That's the way I do it and have always done it. Usually zeroed at 160-180yds depending on the load..

bompa said:
What is the prefered way to sight in the 10ml-2 ? Obviously from a bench and then sandbags,shooting vice,shooting bags,etc. Does anyone have any better ideas or methods . Always looking to make something good better....bompa
You just have to find what is comfortable for you.What ever offers repeatable performance.

I would not recommend shooting it off the bench like any other centerfire. I would recommend holding the forearm like you would if sighting in a slug gun.

Rifleman is correct...here is some of the info to save him some time...

Jcchartboy said:
While doing some research I came across the following piece by Randy Fritz..owner of Tar Hunt Rifles/Shotguns. (Think muzzleloader when he uses the term Slug Gun)

Quote:
Although Tar-Hunt rifled slug guns perform similarly to rifles, they are not rifles and cannot be zeroed as if they were. Even the fastest slug is significantly slower than the typical rifle bullet. It is therefore extremely important to apply back-pressure to the forend of the stock with your left hand while you are shooting. Not doing so will result in the barrel of your slug gun jumping into the air off of the front rest, moving your point of aim and ruining your shot before the slug even has a chance to exit the barrel

He later goes on to say....

Quote:
Adjust the position of your gun as it sits in the forend and butt rests so that without having to touch the firearm the sight picture is dead on your target. Slide your body into shooting position without disturbing this sight picture. Begin applying shoulder pressure to the butt of the gun and offset any forward gun movement by pulling straight back with your right hand in trigger squeezing position. With your left hand on the forend of the gun's stock, pull firmly straight back and down at a 45-degree angle. Hold this pressure on the gun as you concentrate on keeping the crosshairs fixed dead on your target. Squeeze the trigger gently straight back until the gun fires.

Rifleman said:
First as a general rule most " bench technique has come from the accuracy seeking bench rest competitors. They have had a strong and positive influence over the years in teaching us position shooters how to shoot from the bench. Keep in mind though that "benchrest" is normally a game played with fast and relatively light kicking calibers. So this is the key.....As we slide up the scale to heavier/slower calibers sometimes the technique must be modified somewhat to accomodate recoil and slow velocity. the technique you quoted is quite similar to what I use when shooting slug guns and elephant rifles ( yes I have set up a few dangerous game guns for pals over the years). I tend to grab the forearm as I would and hold it firmly down with the back of my hand on the rest, but apply the rear pressure with the shooting hand. I have found over the years that different rifles like a different technique. 2 piece receivered,pistol gripped rifles like the fal,hk91,and ar15 like a slightly different approach as well.

This picture displays general positioning of the non-triger hand...

108_0816.jpg

Thanks for saving me the effort, time to go back to my couch and pie. :lol:

No problem R-man,

I know we went through this before so I figured this would make the first round of questions easy...you still get to field the second round though 8)

Latest posts

Back