...so I bought a flintlock.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaElkSlayer

Reaction score
Just picked up a used Traditions flintlock Kentucky rifle, I believe. Perused my blackpowder library and really see not too much on flinters.... Any suggestions on websites or anything to teach me about the proper size of flints, knapping, etc.?

Thanks,
Jim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the links!!! Got home from work and started to clean the barrel. When I bought it, I dropped my light down the barrel and was surprised how clean it was...looked real good. The only problem with dropping the light is that you can't see what is under the light....like a POWDER CHARGE!!!! :roll:

Jim

DakotaElkSlayer said:
Thanks for the links!!! Got home from work and started to clean the barrel. When I bought it, I dropped my light down the barrel and was surprised how clean it was...looked real good. The only problem with dropping the light is that you can't see what is under the light....like a POWDER CHARGE!!!! :roll:

Jim

Jim, Lower the Ramrod til it stops and mark that point (either hold it in that spot or mark it with a pencil) then remove it and hold it against the barrel, remember there is a Patented breech (depending on rifle?) but this will give you a good idea. It is also a good idea to lightly mark the ramrod when you have the rifle loaded, unloaded, so you can always check. I have a drop in bore light that works really well, but i found a different light that works even better! I read an old post from Cayugad about a little slim line light he was really pleased with, so i got myself 1 and it is an AWESOME little light!! Far better than a drop in light in my opinion. If you have an Oreilly Auto parts store they carry it, under 10 bucks. This little light beams right to the bottom of the Patented breech with ease! And its tiny in diameter, i measured it with my calipers, it will just barely fit in a 6.5mm barrel, but will easily go down a .270

Here it is

Thanks! Great tips and have to buy one of those lights this week. Looking back, I missed several things that screamed to me that there was powder in there... No metallic sound when dropping down the ramrod, how "soft" it sounded and felt, and the lack of the wind whistling through the flash hole when pushing down a tight cleaning patch. But hey, I was excited! :)

Jim

DakotaElkSlayer said:
Thanks! Great tips and have to buy one of those lights this week. Looking back, I missed several things that screamed to me that there was powder in there... No metallic sound when dropping down the ramrod, how "soft" it sounded and felt, and the lack of the wind whistling through the flash hole when pushing down a tight cleaning patch. But hey, I was excited! :)

Jim

Oh GEEZ! I missed the powder charge part, I looked at a nice old Renegade in a Pawn shop a year or so ago and it was loaded to the hilt! The ramrod test I described above is what i always do to an unknown rifle, it will give you a good idea if something is in there or not, once you learn the Patented breech, the jag will stop on the shoulders of the Patented breech, so it will look like there is an inch or so of barrel that you cant get down, Again this is the Breech plug shoulder/Patented breech/powder chamber/Ante chamber. I have no experience with Custom onshore traditional Muzzleloaders but my understanding is they do NOT have a Patented breech

I looked at a nice old Renegade in a Pawn shop a year or so ago and it was loaded to the hilt!

Never realized it was that common! I am scratching my head how someone leaves powder in the bore, but no projectile?

Jim

Back