St.Louis Hawken #2 is almost ready!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Not fully complete. Still have to trim the lock and tang screws and cut dovetail for rear sight.

I did a little stock shaping in the wrist, 2 coats of dixie gun works antique gun stain, Truoil finish that was buffed down, laurel mountain forge barrel brown. All brass was blacked out with birchwood casey brass black. Fully bedded barrel channel and tang. Also have to replace that derlin ramrod with hickory once track of the wolf restocks.

This one is the Kit I got my dad for Christmas.
100_0706.jpg

100_0709.jpg

I'll take better pictures this evening. The sun is bright today and not making for good quality pictures. You take that rifle out into the sun light and the pattern just looks like flames of  a fire.
100_0710.jpg

100_0710.jpg

100_0712.jpg

100_0713.jpg

100_0711.jpg

MattRaymond said:
What rear sight will you use? Nice work
Same as my Hawken set up. Non adjustable Lyman great plains rifle rear sight.

You have done a really nice job on that kit. I'm sure the old man will love it. It's a great looking finish and making the grain standout like you have really improves the looks of the rifle. I especially like the way you have reshaped the nose of the comb and have the line of the wrist flow past the comb. It adds a much needed detail to an otherwise plain stock. Looking forward to your next build. Maybe time to try your hand at a little carving or engraving?

Looks great FG...I too like the aged, darker look.  :Red tup:   

------------------------------------------
p.s.  Wish the kit came in lefty.

I might have missed it but I'm interested in what you plan on doing with the holes in the barrel for the rear sight since you are installing a dovetaill sight.

Latest posts

Back