Started on a stock today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
WELL over a year ago I bought multiple side locks and one was still sitting in the corner because it needed the most work.

I took it out in the shop today and have most of the stock shaped with 150 grit sand paper, still have to file some metal down to fit/look properly but shes coming along.

She looks to have a nice stripe/birds eye pattern in the maple so that's a very big plus.

The bad part is the USA barrel for the CVA Mountain Rifle is a tad rough but I'll give it a try first with my polishing lube and see how it turns out. If not, Off to Hoyt for a liner.

I'll get some pictures of her later on as I make progress. Just going to need a lot of work on the triggers and the lock, plus the metal trim parts.

This is the very early edition of the MR with the nice german silver patch box and fancy wood. Luckily the guy that rough shaped it and slapped clear on it ( Its a kit ) was nice enough to leave me room to work with!

What lube are you using to polish it with I have a 58 Mountain rifle that is a little rough too . I need some ideas how to attack my problem.

I'll be using my shoot out lube to see if the barrel can be cleaned up.

What are you using for your shoot out lube?  I also have a very rough Renegade barrel, that's been sitting for a while.

It must be a secret OSR I asked him also , guess his shoot out lube is some kinda homebrew .

Lots of us don't get to wander the forums every day. Just do a search on this forum for "shoot out". 
TC

yeah i'll be using my shoot out lube to see how bad the bore really is. I havent had a whole lot of time to work on the stock but its 85% there.

Standing Bear said:
Lots of us don't get to wander the forums every day. Just do a search on this forum for "shoot out". 
TC
Do a search, on this forum?  I can't find the search function button or window. :cry:  I'm lucky I can post. :lol:

How about FrontierGander just telling us where to get his "shoot out" magic potion.  Or is it like "Love Potion Number Nine" ? where you have to:
Take your "troubles down to Madame Ruth
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth
She's got a pad down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Sellin' little bottles of" shoot out magic number Nine "

(with apologies to Neil Diamond for messing with his lyrics)

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t9546-new-frontier-s-shoot-out-patch-lube-bore-enhancer

OSR said:
Except that monotone "wonder" didn't write it. It was written by the guys that wrote most of The Coasters songs, "Searchin'" and "Yakety Yak" etc. I think they wrote "Hound Dog" too.

Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash should both be honored for achieving the most success with the least amount of talent. Just my opinion.

patocazador said:
OSR said:
Except that monotone "wonder" didn't write it. It was written by the guys that wrote most of The Coasters songs, "Searchin'" and "Yakety Yak" etc. I think they wrote "Hound Dog" too.

Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash should both be honored for achieving the most success with the least amount of talent.  Just my opinion.
patocazador - I checked (googled it) and your correct, the song was written by: Jerry Leiber and Mike Stroller.  Guess it was a CRS moment. :oops:

Bob,
I never listened to Neil Diamond, but you are correct about Johnny Cash who went far on debatable talent. I always felt Johnny could not hold a candle to Marty Robbins.

John

Marty Robbins had a lot of talent. It was not all in music. He won at least one NASCAR race.

"Marty Robbins had a lot of talent. It was not all in music. He won at least one NASCAR race."

Wow! :affraid: ......didn't know that!

I just looked it up. I was wrong. He never won a race but had 7 top ten finishes.

He took the carburetor restrictors out before a Talladega race and ran 15 mph faster. ("He ran many of the big super-speedway races including Talladega Superspeedway in 1972, when he stunned the competition by turning laps that were 15 mph faster than his qualifying time. Apparently, in his motel room, Robbins had knocked the NASCAR-mandated restrictors out of his carburetor. After the race, NASCAR tried to give him the Rookie of the Race award, but Robbins would not accept it, admitting he was illegal because he "just wanted to see what it was like to run up front for once.")

Back