suggestions for a newbie?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dal61

Reaction score
i'm a brand new to muzzleloading this year (got a doe on saturday!)... i own a 50 cal. omega...the main reason i bought it is that i got a real good deal from a guy that bought it new and never shot it!....i didn't do a whole lot of looking, but a buddy had one and he loved it.....

anyway... my brother has seen mine and is getting interested in muzzleloading, too...he is thinking about looking for a rifle for him and his 2 boys (14 yrs & 16 yrs) to try it out..he's shot mine and likes it alright.....they are all lefties, so a bolt action doesn't work too well for them...i've reccomended the omega to him, but i really don't know what else to reccomend... what are some "entry level" rifles that he can consider? ....he is on a budget....what do you think about buying a used gun?..i also told him how much this site has helped me ...(and probably with a little research i could come up with some guns for him to think about, but i'd thought i'd just ask instead...)..

thanks for all the help .
dal

An NEF Sidekick is a very good gun for the money! I would look at one of those first. ( Made by Marlin )

i think the omega is a good call. i may be a little bias cause thats what i shoot. but its eazy to learn about and clean and very accurate so it will grow with them as they gain experiance.

dal61

Congrats on your doe it is an awsome feeling taken your first animal with a muzzleloader isn't it.

Thi is a very hard call for the boys , because if this is there first time you never know if they are going to stick with it or even like it at all.
And all the companys are making good guns today, but the two that are very affordable and with the best reputations are KNIGHT & TC I own both the TC's and the Knights and I prefur the Knights Hands down.
As for your freind he needs to check into the Knight KRB7 ( rolling block) they are one of the most easy guns that I have ever had to clean , shoot they are very very user freindly and super Accurate with Sabits or Conicals he can get a SS barrle with black comp. stock for around $300.00 or the Knight Disc Extreme Super Accur.
The TC Omega Z5 is also a good gun for Sabots But not a Conical shooter at all and is not bad priced.
Now for the boys there is several good guns that would fit the bill
the KNIGHT WOLVERINE - TC omega Z5 - CVA Buckhorn OR elkhorn or the Wolf - Traditions makes a Tracker 209 that is a fine shooting gun also I have one OR I should say Had one now my daughter has it now because she really liked it and she shoots it very well , my wife shoots the Knight Wolverine and loves it .
Also the Boys later can upgrade the stock of the Wolverine to an adult stock if need be .

I hope this helps ( just my 2 cents worth )

Ron G.

thanks for the feedback guys......and it is neat using a muzzleloader to hunt with.....i don't think i've ever felt as confident when pulling the trigger on a deer....and ohio's muzzleloader season is still to come!...can't wait to get back out and fill my last tag.

my brother and both of his boys are just about the same size...(big kids!)...so i don't think a youth gun is in the picture...just something basic and accurate...

any thoughts on used guns?....

dal

There is no probblem with a used gun at all if you can see it in person and check it over good to make shure that the barrle has no rust or pitting in it.

Ron G.

I didnt mean to leave out the Omega as it would certainly be on my short list.... in the top 3 for sure....

My Sidekick recommendation came on the $$$$ side of things. It is a quality gun for the money and a better alternative than the el cheapos..

I vote for the Omega .50. Great for lefties and overall seems to be better thought out than the Sidekick...

Latest posts

Back