The Backwoodsman Magazine thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Just a heads up to the subscribers, the newest Nov/Dec issue is out. I got mine a handful of days ago.

Amazing cover! one of my most favorites. Guy on the right reminds me of Robert Redfords, Jeremiah Johnson.

Now I have made this post a follow along so readers can let the magazine know what they think and most importantly, what they would like to see more of. This magazine is based solely off of those that send in their personal articles for others to read. So let's keep that in mind. However, lets get some ideas out and those that do write for a magazine, perhaps, can relate to some of the requests and be able to fill in a certain void that someone may not be writing about.

Jonathan

Like we have mentioned in another post, these magazines (Backwoodsman included) need to cover the total United States and Canada not just one portion as seen with some of these publications. Same goes for periods in North American History, some are tired of reading just eastern long hunter. What about covering all the periods of this great land from the earliest to the latest. :ttups:

Backwoodsman has really improved from the cheap newspaper issues to what is seen today as well as most of the articles. We all agree they are better now than the old days of Charley taking others articles without asking to do so.

This is the first issue I received since my subscription. Been too busy to read it. 
I like to cover, too.

FrontierGander said:
Guy on the right reminds me of Robert Redfords, Jeremiah Johnson.

Jonathan

It's supposed to look like him. That is calculated to make you pick up the mag and read it. (Tricks of the trade)

In a past life I was a member of the OWAA (Outdoor Writers' Assn. of America). I generally only got paid $100/article ... a little more if they published one of my photos with it. It wasn't worth the time spent putting the stuff together. AFAIK, no one ever edited the articles. They just published them as they received it, mistakes and all. So, being an editor of an outdoor's magazine must be an easy life.

patocazador said:
FrontierGander said:
Guy on the right reminds me of Robert Redfords, Jeremiah Johnson.

Jonathan
It's supposed to look like him. That is calculated to make you pick up the mag and read it. (Tricks of the trade)

In a past life I was a member of the OWAA (Outdoor Writers' Assn. of America). I generally only got paid $100/article ... a little more if they published one of my photos with it. It wasn't worth the time spent putting the stuff together. AFAIK, no one ever edited the articles. They just published them as they received it, mistakes and all. So, being an editor of an outdoor's magazine must be an easy life.
No, this painting was not done with Redford in mind. I know all three guys in the picture and Jeff H. (middle character) paid for this painting to be created years ago. The first artists contacted was David Wright, he was busy and several others were contacted for this to happen. The look a like to Redford is a guy new to buckskinning at the time of painting, his name was Leif or something like that ???

When still providing articles Mike Moore and myself were members of the OWAA (Missoula, MT) too. We were providing articles to Backwoodsman, On The Trail, Buckskin Report, Black Powder News, Muzzleloader and several journals in those days. I started writing several books and Mike did the same with a half dozen available on line. I look back at those days and wonder where we found the time with making a living (me at the phone company and Mike painting houses) and finding time for articles that were bringing in $85 per article (play money that our wives didn't know about). :)   :roll:

Buck, I didn't mean the painting was made with that in mind. I meant the editor of Backwoodsman picked it for that reason. It's like the check-out aisle rags that put someone "hot" on the cover so you'll buy the rag to read about it.

Back