The Remington Revolver Modification and Which One Is the Best Buy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russell shaffer

Reaction score
My Pietta 1858 was shooting way high and I don't know if the front sight is screwed in, pressed or soldered.  I have seen where guys have broken them off trying to remove them.  So, I gobbed a little solder on the blade to raise it a little and fired 6 shots yesterday in the wind.  It is way better - good enough that I'm going to leave it alone at least for now.

[Title Change on this Topic as this could be very interesting material for owners as well as those interested in purchasing a Remington, thanks Russell].  Buck

"Any port in a storm" as they say!  I guess I'm lucky as my "Sheriff's Model" '58 shoots dead on at 25 yards with 25grs 3F, a felt wad and a .454" RB.  I don't shoot it near as often as it deserves to be shot.

The solder turned out to be not enough by itself.  So,,, I soldered a piece of copper house wiring to the post.  Filed everything smooth on the side and used some cold blue to sort of cover things up.  It's close to dead on now and doesn't look too bad if you don't look close.

From memory they are silver solder into a shallow sockett., at least that was the case on my Santa Barbara New Model Army Remington.

You guys mentioning the Remington, read an article about testing original (Civil War period) revolvers between the major manufacturers: Remington, Spenser and Colt revolvers. Remington out shined the others in the tests for a number of different things, from strength, accuracy, speed of loading, tightness (fit) of parts and so on.

Buck no surprise on that,  I find my Remington has far less problems with caps jamming the works than my colts.

heelerau said:
Buck no surprise on that,  I find my Remington has far less problems with caps jamming the works than my colts.
I have read articles with quotes from both sides of the Civil War that Remingtons were the preferred weapon (revolver) over other hand guns. Many of the famous outlaws a few years after the great Civil War were still using the Remington revolvers now converted to black powder cartridge.

Hey guys, you owners of Remington revolvers no matter who manufactured them. Whether it was Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc. Which one do you consider the best and why.  :?:   :Questuon: 

For those interested in these revolvers this would help make their minds up as to which one would fit what they are looking for.  Thanks  :ttups:

__________________________________________________​
1858 Remington Revolver

A 155 years later, you can still buy brand new versions of Fordyce’s design, mostly made in Italy. And they still shoot just as straight and true as the originals. William “Buffalo Bill” Cody wrote of his old 1858 Remington’s, “They never failed me.” 
The 1858 Remington is a single-action, cap-and-ball percussion revolver, usually .44 caliber, with versions made in both .31 and .36 calibers. In the .44 version can hold up to 40 grains per cylinder of black powder.​

The Remington-Beals – as it was called back then – came into its own with the onset of the Civil War. The US Government needed as many revolvers as it could get. The Remington cost about 50 cents more per copy than the various Colt models, due to the “top strap” frame construction, and was not as widely issued. But that same design made the Remington more robust than the Colts and also gave the advantage of rapid cylinder swapping. On a Remington 1858, all you have to do is flip down the loading lever, pull the cylinder pin forward, it just a rolls out in your hand! And if you happen to have another pre-loaded cylinder with you, You’re reloaded. Written By Otis Earle.

Safety Note: The 1858 Remington has safety notches cut into the cylinder in between the nipples, giving the un-cocked hammer a place to rest that’s not on a percussion cap. Colt cap-and-ball revolvers usually don’t safety notches. The safety notch feature makes it easy to safely carry a fully-loaded 1858 Remington. The strong top-strap design, the ease of swapping cylinders and the safety notches are one of the reasons why many modern cap-and-ball shooters turn to Fordyce Beal’s design.If you’ve ever thought about getting into cap-and-ball pistols, and want an easy-to-use handgun that’s rugged and dependable, check out an 1858 Remington.​
<div align="center">
1858_Remington.jpg
 </div>

Latest posts

Back