Tiller Adjustment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an older PSE Elite bow. I shortened the draw length on it and then turned the limb bolts down to their stops then backed them out a quarter of a turn. I then measured the tiller length and found the lower limb measurement to be longer by 3/16 of an inch. I turned out the lower limb bolt approx. 3 turns to get the tiller length the same as the top limb.

Is this normal?

Double checked what I did. Only turned the lower limb out 2 turns. I paper tuned the bow today and it is making bullets holes so I think I will leave it alone unless someone thinks I need to see why the limbs are not closer.

My tiller isn't even on my bow....and it shoots straight.

I set it up that way on purpose because when even and on a draw the top limb tends to roll over on top.

I'm no tune expert but I do tune my own and my friends bows...I'd say roll with it if it works.

Cell

You are probably good to go!
Understanding tiller is easy if you invision a top spring and a bottom spring pushing the arrow at equal amounts dynamically.
In order for this to happen and push with the same pressure, the limbs must be matched in linear thrust for the correct timing.
I would bet that your eccentrics are not perfectly (buss cables) matched in length, so there fore yu have a small desparity between the tow limbs.
I would go woth your adjustment and see success but if you want them perfectly matched? A trip to a very anal perfectionist that has a bow press to match the cables up perfectly would be the next step.

Latest posts

Back