Trapped a Couple hogs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These hogs were in one of our traps this morning. Small one weighed about 130 pounds on the hoof. Bigger one went about 175 pounds. Hogs were very muddy: They made a trip to the car wash before field dressing.

DSC01264.jpg

Do you smoke your own hams? That would be some excellent pig. Cut the bacon out and cure and smoke that. Then make some pork sausage. And of course the hams. Wow.. you could eat like a king.

Do you smoke your own hams?

No, but we are going to start smoking. But first we have to build a small smoker building. The local processor makes pretty good sausage. He uses Morton's Sausage Seasoning: That's what Mom and Dad used back in WV.

Hog Hunting

We had a small lease in Central Al-refuge from renegade FL illegal hunters/deer baiters. All of a sudden feral hogs showed up off a small creek on our lease in the green/turnip fields! 3 of us shot 17, put out traps and caught several more. One Sunday Am my buddy called me-we got 4 baby pigs in a trap! Rushed there-he took the 2 black ones,I took the 2 brown striped ones-they looked like little fat chipmonks! Once at home, in a dog kennel, the two little porkers were eating grapes from my hand standing on my lap in 10 minutes! I raised them, were very friendly, sow let me handle her piglets freely, and life was good(LG) until my wife saw one of the pigs eat a baby goat. Not Good! We had a hog killing/great pork-these were corn-fed free range pigs-as I said-LG-no better pork!

Back