Triple 7 in FFg or FFFg?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you recommend Triple 7 in FFg or FFFg or pellets?

• Triple 7 FFg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Triple 7 FFFg

• Triple 7 Pellets

• Total voters

Rickochet

Reaction score
I have a Black Knight that I have shot for years using Pyrodex RS with great accuracy with 100 grains and 250 grain Barnes MZ's. I changed to 209 ignition uisng 777 pellets and was rather disappointed in the results of the accuracy.

I am going to try 777 in loose powder, but after looking at many of the posts here, it looks like the FFg is the prefered powder. What do you seasoned shooters have to say about the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

I use both FFG and FFFG. FFG is my prefered choice for inline rifles. FFFG is my choice for sidelocks and my ML pistol.

pellets for my inline

90 gr of fffg triple7 with 250xtps & 3 petal sabots or conicals for my sidelock :D

to get velocities equivalent to that 100 g. pyrodex load, you'll need to drop the 777 load to 85 g. or so. that might improve your accuracy a little. i prefer the traditional #11 caps in my mk-85, but thats just me. all ive ever used is 2F 777, it works well. actually, i typically get better results w/ 777 than w/ pyrodex

sorry, i just saw that you were using 777 pellets. that would give equivalent velocities to 100 g. pyrodex. try some loose powder 8)

I never shoot 777 pellets. I do shoot Pyrodex pellets with excellent results. As for loose powder I just like it better and the cost of course is another factor. Actually I get as good of results with loose as I do pellets of Pyrodex.

As for which grain, that depends what I am shooting. In my White Ultra Mag, it seems to thrive on 777 3f and a big conical. My Knights like the 2f grade. My sidelocks (that I do shoot 777 in) like the 2f but I am going to try the 3f in two of them.

No to pellets, yes to T7 2F and 3F. I've used both with good results but my vote went to the 2F grade for availability, some places just don't carry the 3F :(

Whitesmoke

I have a White Lightning that shoots really well with the 3f. According to Hodman it might be easier to ignite with #11 caps since it is smaller and can work itself easier into the fire channel. I have never had a misfire with this setup. My prohunter shoots the 2f well but I have not done much experimenting with it yet.

Loose 777 2f. I can get the 2f to shoot a little more accurately in my Omega.

120grs.777 FFG. 250 SW/SST MMP HPH 24 Sabot! One hole @100yds,around 2 1/2 inches at 200. The only load you will ever need! You can shoot short,or long shots,this load has it covered! :D

rks1949 said:
120grs.777 FFG. 250 SW/SST MMP HPH 24 Sabot! One hole @100yds,around 2 1/2 inches at 200. The only load you will ever need! You can shoot short,or long shots,this load has it covered! :D

Ditto!

All I have used in my White is 777 2F, but after reading cayuga's post, I'm getting some 3F when I run out of 2F.

jaybe,I use 2F 777 in my White,I shoot 80grs. over a NE 503 460 bullet. I've never tried the 3F but really can't see the need to change. I also use RWS 1075 caps. The gun will hit a soda can every shot @ 100yds. :D

Back