Turkey Hunting with my Investarms Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Rat1

Reaction score
Guys, Hi.  I posted this in another forum but its activity seems to be pretty low so I thought I'd try here.  As spring gobbler season approaches I decided to go for turkey. All fall and winter during deer season I went afield with both my compound bow and my Investarms Hawken .50. For some reason the combination of bow and muzzie felt right. I checked the VA state regs for spring gobbler and both are legal to hunt. That said I haven't found much online outside of muzzie shotguns and turkey hunting. Before cartridge rifles people had to ML hunt these birds. Is anyone still hunting turkey with ML rifles? If not, why is ML hunting turkey out of favor? If so is shot placement the same as for bow and arrow? If not what would be the best place to send my .50 cal Great Plains Connical? New to this so here to learn. Thanks.

Investarms Hawken .50
CVA Wolf 50 cal Smokepole
Marlin 1895 GBL
Marlin Golden 39M Mountie
Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun (project)

In the 1960s-70s i hunted turkeys with muzzleloaders and patched round ball.  Got a turkey about every season too.    i always tried to shoot turkeys where the wings join the body.

Thanks for the response. Exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for on shot placement. If I might ask why did you stop hunting turkey with ML if you were harvesting them successfully? This goes to the part of my question about why it seems that few are hunting turkey with ML these days. Thanks.

If I might ask why did you stop hunting turkey with ML if you were harvesting them successfully?
Because i got away from muzzleloaders.   Got back into muzzleloaders in 2000.    i no longer hunt turkeys because we don't eat them and no one wants a whole wild turkey.

Hello City Rat,  Just a suggestion....you might want to check Virginia's firearm regs again on the use of a muzzleloader.  Most states have a maximum shot size for spring turkey hunting.  For example; MN and MO. have a maximum shot size <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a>.  I took a quick peek at your state regs and I found this:  No restrictions on shot size except for spring gobbler season when it is unlawful to have any shot in possession larger than number 2 fine shot while hunting.  Just be sure of your states regulations.

You may have to get yourself a smoothbore muzzy  :D  Good Luck this spring!!!

Smokin' Joe,
   Thanks for the heads up.  It never hurts to double check the regs as they vary from state to state and a variety of other factors.  In this case I followed your advice and went back and checked.  Here are the VA state regs for Spring Gobbler season from DGIF's website:

<h2 class="post-content">Spring Turkey Season</h2><h3 class="post-content">Bag Limit:</h3>One per day, bearded turkeys only. Hunters may take one, two, or three bearded turkeys depending on how many turkeys were taken in the fall season.
<h3 class="post-content">Seasons: Statewide</h3>April 8 through 30, 2017:
  • One-half hour before sunrise until 12 noon each day.
May 1 through 13, 2017:
  • One-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
<h3 class="post-content">Legal Methods and Restrictions for Spring Firearms and Youth and Apprentice Spring Turkey Hunting Weekend</h3>Special restrictions apply to specific firearms use during these seasons. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.
  • Modern firearms.
  • Archery tackle.
  • Muzzleloading firearms.
  • Decoys and blinds may be used.
  • It is unlawful to use electronic calls.
  • It is unlawful to use dogs during spring turkey season.
  •  When using a shotgun it is unlawful to use or have in possession any shot larger than number 2 fine shot during spring turkey season.
[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]I reprinted these here just so that everyone is clear that the shot size restriction is for when you are using a shotgun. In terms of Muzzleloader restrictions, it is actually interesting in that the only restriction is the general restriction that you can't hunt ML with anything under .45 cal. [/font]
[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general/#legal-use[/font]

[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]Again, before going afield I will verify with the game warden over in the regional office but all of the local guys are of the view that hunting spring gobbler with ML rifle is legal.  [/font]

[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]All that said I really wanteed to get a sense from you guys if any other ML hunters where hunting turkey with ML rifle? Maybe because I'm new but I just don't find much discussion of it anywhere.  I was wondering why?  Is it legal but disfavored and if so why? Me, I keep coming around to the thought of guys out in the woods in the late 1600's and 1700's were shooting turkies with ML rifles every chance they got to put food on the table. Just wondering why nobody is discussing doing it today?  I also will be bow hunting and by contrast there is serious discussion of shot placement, concealment, calling and decoy placement. Nada on the ML side though.  Am I missing something?[/font]

My suggestion was just what you stated..... that you are going to verify the ML rifle regs with the game warden.  I think you are good to go!

falcon said:
If I might ask why did you stop hunting turkey with ML if you were harvesting them successfully?
Because i got away from muzzleloaders.   Got back into muzzleloaders in 2000.    i no longer hunt turkeys because we don't eat them and no one wants a whole wild turkey.
 Falcon,  Thanks.  Appreciate you circling back. ML can be a grand pain in the patootie getting powder, bullt and other bits sorted that work best for a given rifle so I can easily see how someone would take a break from it for a while.

Smokin' Joe said:
My suggestion was just what you stated..... that you are going to verify the ML rifle regs with the game warden.  I think you are good to go!
Joe,
 Copied and thanks.  Any insights on why no one seems to be hunting wild turkey with ML rifle or if they are there no one seems to be talking about it?  Again I'm trying to learn from you folks here.  So any insights are appreciated.

Back