UPDATE: SSK .458x260/265CF Sabotless Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I now believe I have the correct information to share with the forum.

I need to thank a forum member Grouse for helping figure out the differences in the bullets I was using versus the bullets he was using in his new SSK Mongrel rifle.

The picture below shows the difference between the 265 advertised on the website and the 260 Mongrel owners receive with their new Mongrel rifles. The website indicates the sale of .458x265CF brass bullets. The bullets sent with the Mongrel 260 grain and I believe the difference is in the thickness of the powder cup at the bottom of the bullet.

The picture below shows the difference I have discussed. The picture on the left is the 265 grain bullet that I received from the SSK Website. The bullet picture on the right was furnished by Grouse for my comparison. Note the difference thickness of the Powder Cup wall. The thicker wall on the 265 could interfere with the proper expansion of the base to seal gas behind the bullet. The cup on the new 260CF is noticeably thinner and will expand the bore.

SSK-Brass-Sabotless.jpg

I venture to say this why SSK put the bullet in a sabot and is selling it for a 50 cal. ML. And once again I will say the bullet shoots extremely well for me from a 50 Knight U-Lite.

This is a Ballistic sheet ran for the bullet shooting 120grV of BH-209

Lehigh-458x260-Sabotless.jpg

Hope this helps explains my efforts.

I now believe I have the correct information to share with the forum.

I need to thank a forum member Grouse for helping figure out the differences in the bullets I was using versus the bullets he was using in his new SSK Mongrel rifle.

The picture below shows the difference between the 265 advertised on the website and the 260 Mongrel owners receive with their new Mongrel rifles. The website indicates the sale of .458x265CF brass bullets. The bullets sent with the Mongrel 260 grain and I believe the difference is in the thickness of the powder cup at the bottom of the bullet.

The picture below shows the difference I have discussed. The picture on the left is the 265 grain bullet that I received from the SSK Website. The bullet picture on the right was furnished by Grouse for my comparison. Note the difference thickness of the Powder Cup wall. The thicker wall on the 265 could interfere with the proper expansion of the base to seal gas behind the bullet. The cup on the new 260CF is noticeably thinner and will expand the bore.

SSK-Brass-Sabotless.jpg

I venture to say this why SSK put the bullet in a sabot and is selling it for a 50 cal. ML. And once again I will say the bullet shoots extremely well for me from a 50 Knight U-Lite.

This is a Ballistic sheet ran for the bullet shooting 120grV of BH-209

Lehigh-458x260-Sabotless.jpg

Hope this helps explains my efforts.
Great job with the post & the clarification between those two bullets. Your points on the cup thickness are absolutely a key factor in how they will perform. Side-by-side comparison & testing will dictate that difference.

Thanks! I was hoping I could explain the difference. But to give Grouse some credit for helping me out. But, truth be known, I am sure Dave explained the difference a year ago and I somehow let it slip by!

this is still a fracturing bullet? copper or brass? im referring to the one they ship with the sabot for a 50 cal
Yes, both of the bullets are "Controlled Fracturing" and they both are Brass. The bullet on the web site is also a Brass bullet.

These are the bullets shown on the website.

SSK-458x260-CF.jpg

Thanks for the info! Would these make a good hunting bullet and why?🤷‍♂️

Yes! I really believe they would be a very good hunting bullet. I have not harvested and animal with this bullet at all, but it is CF bullet and I have taken many animals with the Original Lehigh Bullets both copper and brass. And the Knight Bloodline would be included in there also.

The ballistic table gives a good indication of how this bullet flys. The other big plus is the CF (Contolled Fracturing) function of the bullet works all the way down to the 750 feet per second area. My plan is to harvest a deer with one of these this season to verify what I think I know. If the opportunity becomes available I will try to do a milk jug test of the CF function later this fall.

i would be interested to see how that goes, i might grab a pack and see how they shoot. how do you think they will load in a knight mountaineer?

what is the purpose of the shape of the inside base of this bullet?
Lehigh Defense was sold. SSK needed to design the bullets differently so they would be aloud to sale ML bullets. So that post in the middle of the base is different from the Lehigh Defense bullets. We should see a 240grn bullet designed the same way in brass real soon.

Latest posts

Back