Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock: "JP McCoy" .45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old No71

Reaction score
Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock: "JP McCoy" .45 cal

New member here...

In addition to having a 32" RB-barreled (1-in-60" twist) TC Hawken, I also have an inline TC Omega, and just posted over on the handgun forum some mod's done to my Ruger Old Army.  A few years back I started messing around with an inexpensive flintlock and posed the question whether it would be "Fun or Frustration"?

Over time, it turned out to be both -- it was "fun" to tinker with to try and improve its reliability, but it was also "frustrating" when it could only get so far, and then no more improvements were realized. Guided by my twin brother, who'd been encouraging me to get a flintlock rifle for years, I had the frizzed rehardened, the frizzen spring lightened and the tail of the frizzen reshaped/polished. I added a stainless steel touch hole liner, polished all the bearing surfaces of the lock and kept trying to improve it. It turns out, after talking with folks more experienced with flintlocks than I was, that the geometry of the lock itself was just all wrong... That's why I had the erratic performance out of it, despite getting really good at mounting and knapping flints and everything else I'd done. In the end, there was nothing else to do. But I was finally hooked on shooting a flintlock, and having had enough of shooting an "el cheapo" version, I enlisted the help of my twin to find me something much better to use.

Oh sure, I drooled over all the $2k, $3k and $4k custom flintlock guns that are out there, but those are all too rich for my blood. And while I've heard the Pedersoli locks were the best of the imports, I really didn't want yet another foreign-made flinter to mess around with. So my twin found me a good compromise -- it's a "JP McCoy" .45 cal flintlock as made by JP Gunstocks, formerly of Las Vegas NV. I've read that JPG made "semi custom" flinters using Orion barrels, L& R locks (mine has a Manton lock), decent double-set triggers and good hardware, usually with very fancy maple stocks too. I could have spent a lot more, I'm quite sure of that; but for less than the cost of a new import from Cabela's, I believe I got a really nice Pennsylvania-style flintlock to have some fun with at the range.

So far, I've only put 25 balls downrange with it in 2 range sessions, but all the shots went off quickly -- and with only 25 pulls of the trigger too, as compared to it taking maybe 35 or 40 tries with the other poor flinter that I'd had... With the L&R Manton lock and a sharp flint on board, she sparks really well.

The best part is -- she's quite a good looker too! I love the stripes of the maple stock, which contrast well with the browned barrel. Here she is...

f0I0BZh.jpg

VNXehso.jpg

E2f7MVg.jpg

4aEJmBz.jpg

Now I just need to adjust the sights and practice more on the hold & follow-through, and while I'm at it -- I might as well "Aim small, miss small" too!  

Tight groups.

Old No7

Re: Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock: "JP McCoy" .45 cal

Beautiful rifle!!  Great find!  You're right..... that stock is something to drool over also.

Glad you finally got a gem. Enjoy it.

A gun like you had is like having a stone in your boot. Can you walk home? .. sure, but it's real nice to be rid of the aggravation when you get it out.

Very nice score. It's a great looking rifle. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

patocazador said:
"A gun like you had is like having a stone in your boot. Can you walk home? .. sure, but it's real nice to be rid of the aggravation when you get it out."
I like it -- best internet quote of the year so far!!!

Old No7

I was given a lovely custom .36 long rifle with a Douglas barrel and a Russ Hamm lock.  That lock was never reliable and had been worked over by a chap who knows his stuff. I replaced it with a tuned up L and R RPL lock from TOW.  If you still have that rifle, considering all the work you did on it, you may be able to salvage it by doing the same. You may have to do a little inletting to get the new lock in. 
   By the way the replacement rifle is ver nice, flintlocks are horrendously addictive !! Make smoke and have fun 

Cheers 

Gordon

Welcome to the forum! You got one hell of a nice flinter!

Wow, nice rifle

Beautiful smoker!
(and in my favorite caliber.)

These rifles were sold nationwide through Cabela's for a short time (special order from catalog) once in a while you would find one that had been returned. The ones I got to look at (being in the Gun Library) were nice rifles with no issues. Corp asked "if I could see any problems", I told one store manager the problem was "No Guts", he looked at me then replied "the customer's wife found out about the purchase". We both had a good laugh, he hit the nail on the head. The only problem I ever found was the locks felt a little gritty like many do, that can be honed or just shoot it - it will go away.

I have a JP McCoy rifle in 45 caliber but it a percussion it a fun rifle to shoot

That baby is sure nice.  :thumbs up:

The biggest problem we ever had was the frizzen needing to be rehardened, the customer would bring them in to get this fixed at Cabela's. I would pull off the locks and take them home harden the frizzens and get them back in service within a day or two. After I left Cabela's they would bring me the locks and I would take care of the problem on these guns. The best repair was a Russ Ham frizzen shoe, now out of business.

Now with Bass Pro taking over Cabela's, they will not service or take muzzleloaders back, you buy it - it's yours period. 

They will not buy antique muzzleloaders as the first of this year, (a friend made a mistake and bought one and is now working at Lowes after being fired for his mistake). Two other guys I know had the same experience in other states than Utah. 

The HR manager (a friend) said they were told now not to offer to fix or tell who would repair any muzzleloading firearms ???  What's that about ???  :?:   :roll:

Buck Conner said:
The HR manager (a friend) said they were told now not to offer to fix or tell who would repair any muzzleloading firearms ???  What's that about ???  :?:   :roll:
That's about profit over everything else.  :evil:

Latest posts

Back