VELOCITIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
I got out to the range twice this week & all I wanted to do was chronograph several bullets. I've already posted groups of all of these, except for one & it was a surprise. I will post that pic here. I was shooting my CVA Apex with 110 grains (by volume) of BH209. Since this gun hates Crush Rib sabots for the most part, all bullets were shot with Harvester smooth sabots unless otherwise specified. I had 2 great days for shooting.

SC20130429-131256_zps2afb1100.png

SC20130502-094239_zps03ad0c8b.png

These were the surprise bullets
2013-05-02094837_zpsbe142482.jpg

2013-05-03174136_zps257c365e.jpg

Fusion 260 grain hollow point muzzleloading bullets in the supplied orange Crush Ribs. Just under 7/8" at 100 yards. Really surprised & impressed me. For those that don't know, these bullets are made by Speer & are basically the same as the Speer 45/260 Uni core....an inexpensive very well made bullet.

It should be noted that there was no appreciable cool down time. I didn't rush, but loaded shot after shot, then put away that box, got the next bullets ready, & moved on. I don't know if anyone will even care about any of this but I hope it helps someone. In any case I had a great time :)

Velocities are as follows, all in 3 shot groups.

Hornady XTP Mag 45/240, 2026, 2046, 2037

Hornady FTX 44/265, 2016, 2001, 1997

Hornady Interlock FP 44/265, 1975, 1967, 1984

Barnes XPB 44/225, 2070, 2043, 2050

Hornady 45/250 Monoflex, 1991, 1996, 1965

Speer Uni Core 45/260, 2037, 1988, 2035

Fusion M/L 45/260 Crush Rib, 2045, 1994, 1988

Hornady JHP 458/300, MMP Orange sabot, 1953, 1941, 1925

Oh boy but that BH 209 really makes a bullet vamoose ! 130 gr 2F Wano behind a 226 gr ball will only do 1700 fps out of my .54 :oops:

:D

Great report Greg :!: That info will help a lot of shooters :cheers:

Ray........... ;)

:face: Time-consuming range report GregK. Awesome to see a ballistics comparison with so many bullets...especially under similar weather conditions which makes the data more meaningful!

What primers were you using :?:

The velocity groups are fairly consistent. What kind of Chronograph do you have and how far from the muzzle did you set-up :?:

hawgslayer said:
:D

Great report Greg :!: That info will help a lot of shooters :cheers:

Ray........... ;)
Thanks Ray. If it helps just one shooter in any way, then I am happy. I always enjoy shooting so I get to have all the fun!

Marty said:
:face: Time-consuming range report GregK. Awesome to see a ballistics comparison with so many bullets...especially under similar weather conditions which makes the data more meaningful!

What primers were you using :?:

The velocity groups are fairly consistent. What kind of Chronograph do you have and how far from the muzzle did you set-up :?:
Thanks Marty, it's my pleasure to be on the range & I always enjoy sharing. As for your questions, I use CCI 209 MAG primers.....ALWAYS, & I have a "Chrony" Master Alpha series chronograph with remote display. It sets 15 feet infront of the muzzle.

Supply your own sabots and you can cut down on that cost of those Uni-cores I'll bet. ($0.83/bullet & sabot is rather steep.)

If i have to buy them bullets and sabots here it'll cost me $2.72 per bullet :shock:

patocazador said:
Supply your own sabots and you can cut down on that cost of those Uni-cores I'll bet. ($0.83/bullet & sabot is rather steep.)
Actually.....of all the places I have seen these, $9.95 is by far the cheapest for pre packaged that I have seen. I have not seen orange 452 Crush Rib sabots anywhere,but I am assuming that they are the same as the black. I have to try the blacks & be sure,but even if they are, you cannot buy the Fusion bullet separately so at this point, it's a non issue if I wanna shoot these.

I typically buy all of my bullets & sabots separately.

Is there much, if any difference between the Fusion and Uni-Core bullets? Aren't the Uni-cores available in a box of 50 or 100?

I'm pretty ignorant concerning the different types and sizes of sabots so I don't even know what the orange color signifies. It seems that black ones are made to shoot .451/.452 bullets in a .50 cal. and green ones are used for .429 bullets in a .50 cal. That may be a standard but I'm not sure.
What about .458 bullets in a .50 cal. What color are they?

patocazador said:
Is there much, if any difference between the Fusion and Uni-Core bullets? Aren't the Uni-cores available in a box of 50 or 100?

I'm pretty ignorant concerning the different types and sizes of sabots so I don't even know what the orange color signifies. It seems that black ones are made to shoot .451/.452 bullets in a .50 cal. and green ones are used for .429 bullets in a .50 cal. That may be a standard but I'm not sure.
What about .458 bullets in a .50 cal. What color are they?
There isn't much difference in the 2 bullets. The hollow point design is a little different & the Uni Core does have a cannelure (for reloading I assume) & the concave base is slightly different. The orange crush rib sabot that comes with these is translucent, where as the MMP orange smooth is not & is of course sized for.458.

I think the orange Crush Rib may be the same as the black, just made in another color for the Fusion packs. I'm going to shoot the Fusions in the blacks & see if they group the same. Harvester does not offer the orange Crush Rib for sale either. I don't mind the price, especially if it's a hunting load where I'm not shooting as many.

Back