Wad or No Wad

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, getting ready to start shooting my Arrowhead. 45cal Encore upgraded barrel. I'm shooting 275 NSR and imr 4198.Is there a benefit or drawback to using a wad? New to smokeless. Any help would be appreciated!
I would say shoot 1st the load you want to try out n see how it does. If it strings vertical too much powder if its horizontal not enough. Bore riders or sabots ? You can always try wads or not, they can help seal but some bullets don't need the help. Thin skinned like some of the Parkers i doubt would need them where as Barnes just may.

Interesting - first I’ve ever heard that. Tell us more.
Its advice i have followed for several years now There was/is a sml builder on Hank's Message Board who did tests n research for a time period. It also played into the pulse/harmonics of a bbl. There was more that he written but i can't remember it all

I heard a Hornady ballistician recently say that in their testing, a linear (either horizontal or vertical) dispersion pattern usually indicates a “system error” - loose action, loose scope, etc.

Hey guys, getting ready to start shooting my Arrowhead. 45cal Encore upgraded barrel. I'm shooting 275 NSR and imr 4198.Is there a benefit or drawback to using a wad? New to smokeless. Any help would be appreciated!
I shoot 5 different propellants with bullets from 275grs to 350grs, all with a wad, and to ranges to 1,000yds.
I've never seen/known of a rifle that shot worse with a wad.

I've always achieved better accuracy with a wad but every gun and load is different.

I am shooting the exact setup, the only thing being different is that I'm using H4198 instead of IMR 4198. With the LRMP ignition I've never tried or needed to try a Wad. A lot of guys were getting better accuracy when using Wads with the old 209 plug vs. that plug with no Wad.

Ive pondered the same question with parkers flat base bullets... i also debated on the hollow base parkers with NO wad obviously. Ive read that you just gotta try it both ways and see how ur gun shoots. Preferrably with a crono as well.

I am shooting the exact setup, the only thing being different is that I'm using H4198 instead of IMR 4198. With the LRMP ignition I've never tried or needed to try a Wad. A lot of guys were getting better accuracy when using Wads with the old 209 plug vs. that plug with no Wad.
I'm also using the LRMP. My friend uses wads with his 1000 yard bolt gun.I didn't know is there was an up or a down side.

Latest posts

Back