Warne High Rings not High Enough for a Simmons 3-10X44

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
Well Just got a set of Warne Maxima High Rings and the front objective is touching the barrel. I thought for sure I would be okay with them but now I know they are not... I am using the Knight bases that came with my Knight Disc Elite. The scope is a Simmons 3-10 X 44 Mag. How much higher are the Warne Extra High Rings? Will the Warne Bases give me any more height or are they the same height as the Knight Bases?

Does Burris make a set with their synthetic sleeves because with these rings they are already scratching up the scope tube?

Any suggestions would be greatly Appreciated...

Thanks,
Mike/LFM

You should have been able to use med rings for up to a 44mm scope. You need to use the Warne bases not Knight. Besides the Knight are aluminum and Warne are steel. You don't need to mix the two. I have used in the past and now own several 44mm scopes and have never had to use anything but the med rings. :wink:

BTW I have NEVER had Warne rings put any marks or scratches on my scopes.

Now I am truly confused... How can I measure these rings to be sure they are "High" because I have used a medium set for the same scope on a CenterFire Rifle and had 1/8 clearance and yet with these they are touching as well as the rings that came with the Knight Base have a H stamped in them and they are a hair higher but still when I get them on the bases the scope is touching the barrel with the 44mm Objective.
I understand mixing the alumimum bases but wanted to be sure the rings were high enough to properly mount the scope and that is not the case.

If I measure setting just the ring on a flat surface how high should the bottom of the ring be from that surface? Since that is where the scope is going to sit. I measure them and they are 7/16 from the sitting on a flat surface to the base of the inside of the ring with a tape measure.

Can someone provide me with the true measurement just to be sure I got the right set of rings???

Seems like I got something other than that but again mounts and rings it is hard to know for sure not being a Gunsmith...

Also I did not even tighten the rings on the scope and both the front and rear of the scope tube have scratches from the rings and they were just sitting in place to see if the scope would clear... I hate having to buy many different brands and sets to see which ones really work and then have to return the rest... Was hoping someone with the same set up might have the answer... I guess I just have the wrong scope should have stuck with a 40mm instead of a 44mm... Foolish me got a deal on the scope and though what the heck... Now I am paying for the extra 4mm's...

Thanks,
Mike / LFM
:?: :idea: :?: :arrow: :?:

Mike I sent you a reply to your private message.

But I found that my Medium rings worked just fine, as I mentioned in a previous post theres only 1 or 2 mm clearance from the objective to the barrel. I think I may have liked the high rings a little better.

From the base of my rings to the scope tube is 3/8 and inch or 9 mm, using one of the kids rulers.

Can't believe the Pro Mag and Aetec would be any different in size being that there both 44mm objectives, but who knows.

Good Luck
Steve

Darrell, I didn't have any problems using the Knight supplied bases, everything fit real well. Is there a known problem mixing the two? Seems like the supplied bases conform to the barrel real well making everything nice and tight. Wasn't sure how others would fit on the barrel.

After spending the $55 on the silver medium sized Warne bases, I didn't have any $$$ for bases.

So far so good. Gun shoots great! Now if I would've seen some darn deer things would've been even better.

Thanks I guess I will just have to wait till I can make a 2 hour drive to a place that has a lot of different Bases and Rings and take the Rifle and the Scope and see what I can find that will really work. Highs won't at least not Warnes and I went with them for extra clearance to be able to use a set of Butler Creek Flip open covers and with the highs I can' slide a piece of paper between the scope and the barrel and have the scope as far forward as it can go and still making contact with the barrel and it is not even tighten the screws, just enough to know they are not high enough... Neither is the Knight Mount that came with it. I thought it was 50mm but it says 44mm and measures 2 1/8 for the front objective so now it is on hold, hate to waste more more returning rings etc to get the right ones and these highs aren't and told mediums will work??? Oh well maybe 2006 I will have the time and money to get the right ones. \

Just have to return these Warnes and get a refund and lose the return shipping about 6.00... Could add up if I keep guessing...

Thanks guys...
Mike/LFM

FYI

Mike if your talking about Cabelas in Dundee and want silver rings they didn't have a great selection. They did seem to have quite a few of the black ones though, but as I was looking for silver I didn't really check out the blacks.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago the place was nuts on a weekday, and made the mistake of going after Christmas last year when it was really nutty with long lines. The last few times I've been down there they've only had a few cashiers making for some terrible waits to check out.

No I don't go there anymore even though they have some stuff. The two times I did go there I was not impress on what they had, Jays in Clare has a better inventory of items and stuff. I get the Warnes online via Cabela's... with some Shockwaves and Full Plastic Jackets....

Oh well maybe next year when I have the time and the money to find the right ones...

Thnaks though appreciate your thoughts on this matter...

Mike / LFM

GrimReaper said:
Darrell, I didn't have any problems using the Knight supplied bases, everything fit real well. Is there a known problem mixing the two? Seems like the supplied bases conform to the barrel real well making everything nice and tight. Wasn't sure how others would fit on the barrel.

After spending the $55 on the silver medium sized Warne bases, I didn't have any $$$ for bases.

So far so good. Gun shoots great! Now if I would've seen some darn deer things would've been even better.

In my opinion(for what's that worth) either go aluminum bases and rings or steel but the same no mixing. But hey if it's working and it don't bother you then don't fix it. :)

LFM said:
If I measure setting just the ring on a flat surface how high should the bottom of the ring be from that surface? Since that is where the scope is going to sit. I measure them and they are 7/16 from the sitting on a flat surface to the base of the inside of the ring with a tape measure.

Can someone provide me with the true measurement just to be sure I got the right set of rings????

By your measurement method I would guess you actually have "medium" rings. Brownell's chart has the medium Warnes listed at .375", the same as GrimReaper measured, using the same method as he did. If you'll measure the thickness of the bottom of your rings, from where the top of the base would be to where the bottom of the scope tube would be, you should find the measurement to be .375" (or 3/8") for "medium" Warnes or it should be .525" (about 17/32") for "high" Warnes.

Other possible rings:
Burris "high" Zee's are listed at .450", which puts them between the Warnes. The Signature Zee's are listed at .420"; I'm uncertain as to whether that includes the Pos-Align insert or not. Part # for high Zee (nickel) is 420086.

Millet "high" Angle-Loc's are listed at .525". Since the base clamps on both sides of the rings are moveable, they are windage adjustable. This is a nice feature in some applications, but if you want good return-to-zero (if you R&R the scope while cleaning), I think it'd give you alot of grief.

If you want to give the old standard (Weaver) a try, the "X-High" (.560") are what you'll probably need as the "high" is listed at merely .332". Part # for X-High (silver) is 49036.

Good luck! :)

FWF,

I am not sure if you are taking in the Bases for the different manfacturers.. Seems that is also different heights that seem to change these measurements and I thought the Bases were included in the Spec that some list so without have their specific Bases the measurement might be different... Because for sure I order and the paperwork that came with the Warnes states HIGH and they don't seem to be but again maybe their bases make up the differences since neither Grimreaper or I are using the same brand bases and rings or one is steel and the other is alumimum. Do you know if any of them that make Steel Bases have a abase that will sit a little high up as to get the clearance I am after to put Butler Creek Scope Caps on it being the mediums are to tight atleast from what Grimreaper in PM to me states...

Thanks for your Information...

Mike/LFM

So much for getting the right item from Cabelas!!!

I emailed Warne and they advised how to measure their rings it is from where the scope sits at the bottom of the ring to where the base would make contact on the underside of the ring comes in contact with a base of it was mount to said base. I measure them and determined that what I order was not what I got, though the package states highs these are LOWs. When measured they are only .250 or a 1/4 inch and that is what the Warne Low's are the Highs are to be .525 or roughly 33/64.

I guess I put to much faith in Cabelas sending me the right item but now I know that is not the case...

I now have to return them but Cabela's is sending out a USPS Postage label to cover the return Shipping once they have then I will hope to get a set of Burris Signatures but will take the Rifle and Scope to a place that has them to make sure they will work for the scope and not put my faith in getting the wrong ones a second time as my luck seems to go that way...

So Nothing wrong with the Warne Brand just Cabela's sending the wrong ones and they most know because they did not question on how I know they are lows just that they are sending a label for return postage to get them return...

Mike / LFM

LFM said:
So much for getting the right item from Cabelas!!!

I emailed Warne and they advised how to measure their rings it is from where the scope sits at the bottom of the ring to where the base would make contact on the underside of the ring comes in contact with a base of it was mount to said base. I measure them and determined that what I order was not what I got, though the package states highs these are LOWs. When measured they are only .250 or a 1/4 inch and that is what the Warne Low's are the Highs are to be .525 or roughly 33/64.

I guess I put to much faith in Cabelas sending me the right item but now I know that is not the case...

I now have to return them but Cabela's is sending out a USPS Postage label to cover the return Shipping once they have then I will hope to get a set of Burris Signatures but will take the Rifle and Scope to a place that has them to make sure they will work for the scope and not put my faith in getting the wrong ones a second time as my luck seems to go that way...

So Nothing wrong with the Warne Brand just Cabela's sending the wrong ones and they most know because they did not question on how I know they are lows just that they are sending a label for return postage to get them return...

Mike / LFM

Obviously a case of mis-marked packaging. I knew something wasn't right. Glad you got it figured out. :)

Latest posts

Back