Went out and made an Oopsie!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Earlier I was shooting real black powder and then decided to try some 320gr real conicals with 80gr Alliant Black MZ @ 50 yards. I took 2 shots and wasn't happy with the height impact or group and as I seated the bullet on <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> and was getting ready to cap.... It hit me..... Im shooting Black MZ... Stick that ramrod back down that damn hole and compress the powder! :slaps:

Yep, that fixed it right up :shooter:
100_3014.jpg

100_3015.jpg

I have never tried this Black MZ, in fact i have only seen it at 1 place anywhere near me, about an Hour south of me in the Big City of Coeur ‘d alene, A sporting goods store there Called Blacksheep Had it, It was 20 Bucks for a Can, Not Knowing anything about it I didn’t get any to try.

I did try Pyrodex P, Man did i ever CRAP luck with that stuff! I kinda wonder if I didn’t get a Bad can of it? I know guy’s that Swear by the Stuff. I knew to use a nipple with a larger Flash Hole, i measured an Older Worn nipple at .033, Out of 3 or 4 outings i had CONSISTENT Hangfires, And only 1 of those times was i able to Shoot a Group with it, i was pleased with the Results, But after failed attempt on top of failed attempt the other outings i gave up on it! That stuff costed me Deer as well, in Idahoron’s Rifle, I pulled up, set the trigger and took the Shot, POP..............Baboom. HANGFIRE! 

I sprinkled the entire Can of it in a Line alongside my Driveway and lit it off to get rid of it. I probably wasn’t real popular with my neighbors Down Wind this Day lol! It sent a BIG Cloud Smoke lingering down through the Neighborhood 
cLrRbCWl.jpg

Use to know several muzzleloader, buckskin types from Coeur ‘d alene a few years ago. I liked the place being so clean looking and friendly.

Buck Conner said:
Use to know several muzzleloader, buckskin types from Coeur ‘d alene a few years ago. I liked the place being so clean looking and friendly.
Buck,  It is a nice area down there, Hayden and Coeur ‘d alene Run together. Both are Clean, And not Horribly over populated. I spent 38 Years on the Wa Coast, that place turned in to a JUNGLE!

One of my best friends (we worked together for 20 years at the phone company as engineers).  Bruce had a short temper (Marine sniper in Nam for three tours) small built guy but tough as nails. He transferred to Spokane WA, only there a short time and moved Coeur ‘d alene because of what you stated.  He told me Spokane at night was bad news so him and the dog made the move across the border.

Buck Conner said:
One of my best friends (we worked together for 20 years at the phone company as engineers).  Bruce had a short temper (Marine sniper in Nam for three tours) small built guy but tough as nails. He transferred to Spokane WA, only there a short time and moved Coeur ‘d alene because of what you stated.  He told me Spokane at night was bad news so him and the dog made the move across the border.
He made a good move Buck! Spokane is in the News on a regular basis, Stabbings, Shootings, Robbery, You name it?
   I live in Priest River, Spokane is about 1-1/2 hrs from here, I only go there on a have to basis! We get flooded with Spokane in the Summer Months, Priest Lake is about 25-30 miles North of here and is a BIG attraction, The Locals here call Priest Lake “Little Spokane” They have to Travel right through the Middle of us to get up to the Lake.

As an old Cable Maintenance Splicer, retired now, I thank you being an engineer at the Phone company. I was headquartered in Seattle area, but did travel around the state for work. Been shooting the smoke-poles since around 1975 and I am up to learning new tricks from this forum. Now just about everywhere in Washington State is a Jungle, or being led by wacko's in the state government.

stu 206 said:
As an old Cable Maintenance Splicer, retired now, I thank you being an engineer at the Phone company. I was headquartered in Seattle area, but did travel around the state for work. Been shooting the smoke-poles since around 1975 and I am up to learning new tricks from this forum. Now just about everywhere in Washington State is a Jungle, or being led by wacko's in the state government.
My last 6 years before retiring from Quest Telecom about the time CenturyLink got involved I traveled the 14 western states training new engineers. Between Seattle, Denver and Milwaukee these were the most traveled. Yes the State of Washington looked like a jungle from the air when flying into Seattle.   :)

You came to the right place, lots of knowledge here on muzzleloaders.

stu 206 said:
Welcome stu 206! I lived on the Wa coast for 38 years, It was a good place to grow up as a Kid, but i sure seen that place go down the Tube over the years, i moved here to North idaho 8 years ago, Best decision i ever made! I couldn’t imagine living back over on the Wa Coast

sand stone. Blocked by the target is a large cave area about 4 feet deep with soft sand. Its a neat natural bullet trap as its deflected down and into the sand.

Well I hope Black MZ works for me. I love real black but can't get it anywhere close to hear and I can not justify ordering several pounds of it that would last 10 years or more when I may only have another five in me depending if I get lucky with the cancer thing. When I get the rifle finished I'll give my two cents worth.

Firestick said:
Well I hope Black MZ works for me. I love real black but can't get it anywhere close to hear and I can not justify ordering several pounds of it that would last 10 years or more when I may only have another five in me depending if I get lucky with the cancer thing. When I get the rifle finished I'll give my two cents worth.
What part of WY are you guys at ???  Once in a while I may be able to give you a source near you.

Buck Conner said:
Firestick said:
What part of WY are you guys at ???  Once in a while I may be able to give you a source near you.
I am in Sheridan. Sportsmans Warehouse has plenty of Alliant Black MZ. I already have 3# of it. Not that much going on here as far as Muzzleloaders . A few BP cartridge shooters around. I am sure I can figure out a load that is suitable for deer hunting. The days of elk hunting are long gone for me. Besides I prefer hunting elk with a longbow if I could hunt them again.

I was at one time on the road for old mamma bell, traveled from as far west as Bridger and east to the WY line and south into CO. Use to drive through Sheridan, Buffalo, Gillette in my travels. Back in the 80’s every store along the major roads carried ammo (Goex included) those ranch kids would shoot anything that made a bang. Sad how things have changed.

No one wants to bother with BP and the regs for storing it since so little of it is sold.Not too many years ago there was a gunsmith who carried a few extra supplies and he had BP but retired a few years ago. I think they may have went where it is WARMER. LOL

Firestick said:
No one wants to bother with BP and the regs for storing it since so little of it is sold.Not too many years ago there was a gunsmith who carried a few extra supplies and he had BP but retired a few years ago. I think they may have went where it is WARMER. LOL
When on the road for the phone company in the 80's I had 91 building sites in the three states. I was President of the CSMLA (Colorado Muzzleloaders Assoc.) Every town I went through in CO, WY, NE I would stop and leave membership forms for our group along with NMLRA forms in a display stand alone bill board for their counter. I would get back to each place once a month and refill their display, had a friend at HP that would print the forms (talk about low budget). About every hardware, sporting goods and some gas stations carried ammo and some black powder supplies in those days.  Today most of those sources have dried up or have become anti everything, that's sad. Back in the 80's a pound of Goex was $3.00 in most places, look at today's cost, WOW. I still have a few pounds of the $3.00 powder for old times memories.

Back