Where my attention has been

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
My weekly ML shooting sessions have been taken over by a new passion/obsession. Will it ever take the #1 spot over my muzzleloaders, no, but I am having a blast right now. Me and my father in law have both always wanted a hunting revolver. We decided this was the year, and thought wouldn't it be cool if we could find a pair in sequential serial numbers. I went to my favorite gun shop and he told me the request was like a needle in a hay stack. I said that's fine if it takes a couple years we can wait. Well he called me a few days later and had 2 Ruger Super Redhawks in .44 mag on there way! I did all the research on calibers and am now glad I went with the .44, it has about the perfect balance of recoil and power. I have been busy reloading. Working up plinking loads with 200 grain LRNFP bullets and using an 8lb jug of WSF I have had for years. Reload cost is pennies per shot. I think I have a little over 500 rounds through it already. Just cant get enough. I also added a UltraDot 30mm red dot sight, love that as well. All the positive things I read online are absolutely true about the ultradot.
Next step is to make up some bear loads with some 300 grain hardcasts and then some deer loads with some 270 deep curls I bought from Ron. Here is some pics.

20150209_084004_zps143pffu0.jpg

20150327_140757_zpsia00emo6.jpg

20150410_130423_zpsu5zd8k7l.jpg

Also made a gong for more fun!
20150410_130431_zpsifqnuxx5.jpg

20150403_135102_zpskdtoypeq.jpg

What kind of scope mount did you use? The one I had on my Ruger .44 mag gave out on me after only a few shots.

The .44 mag is an excellent caliber. It takes deer real well and I have no idea that a bear would fall to it also. The Super Redhawk is a nice revolver. When they first came out, my friend purchased one. I had just a Redhawk so he wanted better... anyway I shot his revolver a good deal and it was a very smooth revolver. His luck though, someone broke into his house when he was at work and stole it and his deer rifles.

Very nice! :yeah:

I finally got to hold a BlackHawk Hunter in .44 mag at a gun show a few months back, if it weren't for my smokeless muzzy project, I would have one and be using it this fall, maybe next year :think:

Nice Revolver. 8) The 44mag is a great all around hunting round, and easy to load for. I had a S&W Classic hunter for a few years and loved shooting the 44 mag. I had a similar S&W 686 in 357mag but some odd reason I shot the 44mag better so I sold it. Sold the Classic hunter too and now wish I had it back. :roll:

Yep ruger rings. They come with 1" rings but I wanted to get the 30mm ultradot, so I sent the new unused 1" rings back to Ruger with a nice note and 10 days later I received the 30mm rings.

You just got love those Rugers, I picked up an old style .45 LC Vaqaro and a month ago I picked up an old frame .44 Super Blackhawk. Good luck with it. :yeah:

I shot a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag with scope a few years back at the range. I was amazed that I could hit 12oz coke cans with it at 100 yards (with a good rest). I almost bought one the next day but never did. I looked at a S&W Stealth Hunter in .44 mad the other day. Talk about pricey!!!!

Good luck with your new passion!

Latest posts

Back