Where to buy Black Powder locally in Colorado?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
Looking to start using REAL black powder and much to my surprise it's really hard to find!  I looked online at Bass Pro, Cabelas & Sportsmans warehouse which are all within driving distance... but none of them sell black powder, only substitutes.  I called a couple places in Colorado Springs but no luck.  The Mountain Man in Manitou is the only place that has any and all they carry is GOEX.  I was hoping to try some Swiss.  Any Colorado guys know where I can get some powder close by?  I know I can get it online but don't wanna have to buy 5 lbs of it.  Thanks...

If you can’t find it anywhere locally, Graf & Sons might be an option? I have seen links of them posted on other Forums a few different times where they are Waiving the 10 dollar Hazmat fee, They Have a 4 pound minimum. These Guy’s cost about 3 dollars more a pound than what i pay for it. I feel for you guy’s that don’t have easy access to Real Blackpowder, i hear a LOT folks talk about not being able to get it anywhere near them. 

https://www.grafs.com/swiss-powder

Thanks Lewis... I had previously looked at Grafs.  I really don't wanna have to buy 4 Lbs at once.  That's almost $140 worth of powder with the fees.  Not to mention it would take me forever to use up that much powder.  Wish I could find some local guys to go in on an order with.  Surely somewhere sells it in the state?  Might have to make a run up to Denver or somewhere to get it?  The search continues...

Same here,
No one that I can fine within a hundred miles or more carries anything but plain Goex.
And won't order it in  :(

Hylander said:
Same here,
No one that I can fine within a hundred miles or more carries anything but plain Goex.
And won't order it in  :(
And we wonder why no one's interested in black powder shooting/ hunting anymore???  LOL!!!  I posted this same question on Colorado State Muzzleloading Association's Facebook page.  Interested to see what if any of the replies are.  Posted on there I'd be interested in doing an online group buy... hopefully there are some interested in that.  Or guess I'll be buying WAY more powder than I intended!

I might be interested in a group buy.
However not sure ho that would work with hazmat fees.

Hylander said:
I might be interested in a group buy.
However not sure ho that would work with hazmat fees.
Probably wouldn't be possible unless we lived in the same state and within driving distance to one another.

Just a little insight here as to some reasons you might have problems finding powder at LGS's and such. I owned a gun shop years ago in California and tried carrying black powder for some years. It required a separate license that needs to be renewed yearly, a separate powder safe that had to be constructed with a wall that give way in the advent of a fire (so the powder explosion could not build excessive pressure and do more damage), and I needed to order powder in at least 25 lb. cases. 
I met all the requirements and looked forward to being the sole supplier for the area...but I had no idea how hard it would be to make the situation work. I marked up the powder for a profit margin of $2.00 a pound...which didn't seem like much to me, but obviously was to others as my sales were extremely slow. I actually shot more of the powder than I was able to sell. 
Black powder at a retail level is not a good market for anyone in the firearms business and I eventually just stopped renewing my license and only ordered powder for my own use.
A guy can order a case at a time and take whatever he doesn't want to keep, to any muzzleloader shoot and sell the remainder to shooters at or near the cost of him procuring it.

Mofish said:
Just a little insight here as to some reasons you might have problems finding powder at LGS's and such. I owned a gun shop years ago in California and tried carrying black powder for some years. It required a separate license that needs to be renewed yearly, a separate powder safe that had to be constructed with a wall that give way in the advent of a fire (so the powder explosion could not build excessive pressure and do more damage), and I needed to order powder in at least 25 lb. cases. 
I met all the requirements and looked forward to being the sole supplier for the area...but I had no idea how hard it would be to make the situation work. I marked up the powder for a profit margin of $2.00 a pound...which didn't seem like much to me, but obviously was to others as my sales were extremely slow. I actually shot more of the powder than I was able to sell. 
Black powder at a retail level is not a good market for anyone in the firearms business and I eventually just stopped renewing my license and only ordered powder for my own use.
A guy can order a case at a time and take whatever he doesn't want to keep, to any muzzleloader shoot and sell the remainder to shooters at or near the cost of him procuring it.
Good Post Mofish!  A good friend of mine here locally bought our Local Small Sporting goods Store/Business a year or so ago, He and i were talking about this EXACT thing, He looked in to what was needed to Carry Real Blackpowder? It was WAY more than made good business sense to do. And to top it off, we have Buffalo Arms 20-25 miles from here with a Shipping Container full of Real Black, they carry Real Blackpowder ONLY, No Substitute powders, living this close to Buffalo Arms It would be impossible for a little Ma/Pa Type Sport shop business to Compete.

I'm in Elizabeth CO and wanting to do a group order on black powder from Powder Inc. You can mix and match either 10 or 25 pounds for very good delivered prices. If anyone wants to go in on it, let me know. Would think we could meet at a Cabelas or Bass Pro or somewhere that would work for everyone. Thanks

I hear what you all are saying about the regs and such for a store to carry Black.
However, the local guys here sell Goex, just don't understand them not carrying other flavors ?

I’m meeting a guy in Colorado Springs Wednesday to get some Swiss powder. He’s with travelers antiques & trading. He quoted Swiss at $27 a pound. They have Goex & Schuetzen too. 

You can look at their website, they sell all kinds of stuff including some of Jonathan’s (Frontier Gander) products. 

If anyone from Colorado needs anything, let me know and we can make arrangements. Or I can give you his contact info and you can contact him directly.

PM me if you need anything!

Latest posts

Back