Where to start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will just have to do some experimenting. I have used both the 275gr and 350gr versions, and have taken deer with the 275gr bullets, using my Remington 700 Ultimate (converted it to smokeless last year). I experimented with these bullets in my old Remington and my daughter's Traditions Buckstalker. They weren't "bad", but I had better results with Powerbelt Platinums in her Buckstalker, and I switched to 300gr Barnes Original Spitzers with an MMP Orange sabot in the Remington. I used 150grs of triple seven in the Remington, and 100grns of triple seven in the Buckstalker. I stick with triple seven unless I'm using my smokeless powder ML's. Many guys prefer Blackhorn, but I think it is greasier (my opinion). Experimentation is the only way to see what works best out of your gun, but that is the fun of it.

The 270s or the 350s? I’ve shot them both. They don’t really need a “kick in the butt” to work. I’d start near wherever you want to end up. Personally, with BH209 hunting loads, I don’t shoot less than 110-115 grV.
The 270 grain solid copper. The only reason I posed this question is I only have 15 rounds and thought with some help from others who have tried them I could cut some experimentation and have a few left for hunting season because in this day and age I don't know if I can get anymore before season opens. If I'm correct my Traditions Pursuit is 150 g. pellets 120 g. loose of T7 capable so it sounds like 100 g. loose will be a good place to start.

You certainly do no need the 150 grains of pellets. I'd start at 100 grain of FFg T7 and you may find that you don't have to go off that amount.

Back