Whitetail tracking

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
I have never attempted to track a whitetail before. Almost 100% of
My hunting has been from a tree stand mostly with a bow.

What are some key points to tracking to get me started? Is it as simple as quietly following fresh looking tracks? I know fresh snow on the ground is a great start. Do you play the wind while tracking?

Get the books by Bryce Towsley and Hal Blood. Very informative on the subject. There are also some DVDs out there. This is something that I always wanted to do just cannot find enough time to get to the Adirondacks to do it.

Tracking? Yes in fresh snow I guess its possible if you have an idea how fresh the tracks are.
Still hunting is a more viable option. Its a method that few can master in this hectic "I want it now" world.
Conditions and wind have to be right. After a good rain or a wet snow is ideal when the leaves aren't as noisy. But it can be done even in dry leaves. The trick is to go slooooow! About 50-75 yards in a half hour is about right. Avoid breaking any twigs if you do stop for at least 5-10 mins. Not many creatures break twigs unless they're big and running. Squirrels won't, deer are cautious where they step and bear have well padded feet.
Take a step look around scanning everywhere then take another. Each step opens up new viewing lanes. And don't forget to lokk behind you. Also watch for color out of the ordinary.
I once shot a nice 8 pt in his bed after he let me walk past him at 35 yards. He was hidden behind a blow down. I was about 50 yards past him and noticed a brown that was out of place. I must have watched it for 5 mins before he picked his head up to lick his back.
Patience and more patience is key.

On every place I hunt there’s so many deer tracks I have no idea how you would differentiate the fresh ones from the one made a few hours ago.
I’ve snuck up on pigs, because I smelled them first. I’ve heard turkeys and stalked within range for a shot. I’ve “seen” deer and stalked within range for a shot, but I’ve never “tracked” one.

Back