Winchester 400 gr 50 cal bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Folks , you ever have one of those days where it goes really great ?  I was at the range and a fellow shooter wanted to show his grandkids a muzzleloader so I obliged him and went thru the steps and fired it he asked me the caliber and when I said .50 he said to bad it wasn't a 54 as he had bullets he wanted to get rid off.  So I said  well I have a 54 Cabelas Hawken carbine in 54 cal so he said there yours just come and pick them up.  I got 330 rds of 400 grain Platinum Tip Winchester 50.cal with MMP purple sabots for NOTHING.

Can anybody tell me if they have used this bullet before and they mike out at .50 cal so I was wondering if they might work sabotless in a .50 cal.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I have had great terminal performance with their 260 grain bullet. These should work sabotless if they fit your bore. Will your gun like them? There is only one way to find out. Drop one down the bore. If it drops slowly or you have to push it a bit, light knurling should be all you need. If it's loose & just falls down the bore, then you will need some heavier knurling. Trial & error is the only way to find out.

MLN1963 said:
How does one knurl them?
It is a very simple procedure. You use two medium Bastard files & roll the bullet between them. It takes a little bit to get the feel of it so that you have the proper knurling. With my V2 .45, I had to roll a PT Gold 7 times, with my Apex .50, the Barnes are 2 rolls.

Latest posts

Back