xtp .300 velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
i have been reading about these, theres guys saying that the regular xtp's cant handle high volocities and short ranges, saying they fragment on impact at short ranges. but then looking through the smokeless forums alot of you guys use these as your main loads, and i thought that smokeless guns shoot at higher speeds, they must hold up if you guys use them. can someone clear this up for me? thanks.

My father and I have killed several Mature bucks with the 250 XTP and have not had a problem.

The 300g xtps do alot better than the 250's, which can splatter on a bone hit over 2200 fps.

A 300g xtp at 2150 fps @ 3" high at 100, 165 yd zero, your around 4" low at 200.

The drop is very near the same as the 250g at higher velocities because of the better ballistic coefficient of the heavier bullet. Recoil might be a hair worse, but hardly noticable.

thanks, i wonder what load of T7 2f i would need to push a .300 to 2150fps?

03mossy said:
thanks, i wonder what load of T7 2f i would need to push a .300 to 2150fps?

You won't get there with 777 and a 300 grain bullet. Around 1950 is about it safely. 3 pellets gave me 1926 fps in an Encore.

yeah i no i can't get the speeds out of my omega that you guys acheive, i was just confused on how the .300 xtp hold up at your guys rediculous volocities :wink: . so if i understand this right basically any speed i push the .300 out of my omega will be fine, it will hold together.

i got to tell ya the more i read in this smokeless section, the more i get interested. great... another thing i might have to save up for. thanks guys

You will be 100% fine with a 300xtp. I've never heard of a 300g giving any problems for anyone, but some of the hotrodders pushing 2400-2500fps could probably blow one up if they tried.

I shot four deer this year with the 300XTP at 2150 fps.40,60,35 and 70 yards.I recovered only one bullet that was an angle away shot from next to last rib that was recovered in the oppisite shoulder,range of 35 yards.Bullet mushroomed to .952 and weight was 227 grains(over 75 %).This was all out of a Savage ML10 with smokeless.I hunt in Virginia where shotgun and ML only is legal.I had went thru the expencive and bonecrushing recoil of slugs before I purchased my ML10.My shot now are in the .35 cent range vs 3-4 dollars for the slugs.All of the above kills were one shot and recovered within 30 yards.The shooting mags(rags) push the higher priced bullets,some of which I have tried,but I have yet to find a better hunting bullet than the 300XTP and at .18c a bullet it may be the best value out there.If I found a better killer than the 300XTP for $1 a bullet I would purchased becasue it still would be a small cost in the overall cost of deer hunting but the 300XTP is still the king.

03mossy
The 300 grain XTP is my standard bullet with the short MMP sabot and 58 grains of N120 or 43 grains of 4759. I zero at 100, get 9" of drop at 200 and 15" at 250. Drop is predictable, but drift is harder to figure. 300 grainers are affected less in the wind and that's why they're my standard. It's not as sexy as a ballistic tip, but when I squeeze the trigger my interest is in killing not love making. Never shot at a deer that was moving and never without sticks or a rest. At 75 yards or less, I generally shoot them in the neck and beyond that range it's going to be a lung shot. The bullets have always been complete pass throughs and finding the deer has not been a problem, but that is probably a function of the terrain I hunt.

I should probably learn to shoot without the sticks, but habits that deliver the right results are hard to change. If I ever get to shoot with the Rifleman, I'll gladly take some lessons. I used to ask about bullet speed, and eventually bought a chrony, but I've only used it a few times and don't seem to have much interest in it.

Best regards -
Cob

I chose the 300xtp based on recommendations here and my gun agreed with it :D Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to test the bullet on a live subject. As for longer ranges, I'm lucky to get a 100yd shot let alone 200. Only problem now is boredom. I've got a load that has moderate recoil. a ton of punch (close to 3000, actually :wink: ), and is very accurate. I've just lost the desire to experiment.

Latest posts

Back