Nosler Ballistic Tip MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, the bullets arrived here yesterday afternoon. Kinda surprised me how small the plastic tip was. The sabot seems very long. Was able to give them a try this morning. Set the target, and went out to 100 yard. First thing needed was to empty the Dream Season which was loaded with a 300g Deep Curl. That bullet made the top hole up off the target. Then the rifle was loaded with 90g Blackhorn, the Nosler bullet in the orange sabot, and W209 primer. The first thing i noticed was there seemed to be a conflict between the sabot and the jag. This first shot with the new bullet was right at the top of the target. Then i moved out to 200 yard, and shot 3 shots. These 3 shots i loaded using a 45 caliber jag, because the orange sabot was kinda in the way. Those 3 shots hit a way low, and were very scattered as can be seen in the photo.

P1030734.JPG

It seemed there was no use to continue, but it occurred to me that switching sabot might help. So, i loaded the Dream Season with the bullet in a black crush rib sabot over 90g of Blackhorn, and the W209 primer. A walk was taken up to the target, and it was taped. Then 3 shots taken at 200 yard, and 1 more shot taken at 100 yard, after the elevation dial was turned down about 6 moa. The shots from 200 are low on the target; the shot from 100 is in the red.

P1030736.JPG

Then i went to capture the bullet. The water jugs were placed at 19 yard to the first one, and the photo shows the set.

P1030738.JPG

P1030739.JPG

noslerbtmz1.jpg

noslerbtmz2.jpg

noslerbtmz3.jpg

The VIDEO.

The bullet penetrated all the jugs, but bounced off the phone book stack with virtually nothing left. It was found right there on the ground, and i was lucky to find it in the tall grass. It weighs 229g.

P1030742.JPG

P1030744.JPG

Mine came to but need to go to the range and see whats up I see you only used 90Gr may try 100Gr to 120Gr and the bullet look good after you shoot it and weight loss was so so for lead core.

Wow, that tip is tiny! Makes it look goofy. What was your overall opinion on this bullet?

Well..........i've shot it 11 times, so not much to go by. It seems plenty accurate for me, but i did have to switch sabot. A 240g XTP mag was captured not long ago using the same set.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24317

The XTP didn't make it through the 4th jug, and it was in pieces. This bullet is one piece, and it penetrated through the 4 jugs, which surprised me. The XTP severely damaged 2 jugs, whereas, the Nosler severely damaged 3 jugs.

This Nosler bullet kinda vaguely resembles a 300g Deep Curl that was captured a couple three year ago Then a different set was used, so a direct comparison can't be made.

P4301465.JPG

The 300g Deep Curl weighed 262g when captured. This Nosler weighs substantially less at 229g, but stayed in one piece as did the Deep Curl.

My overall opinion is, this bullet deserves a try at a real critter.

Sounds pretty good. They aren't available anywhere around here yet so I'm waiting, but I am a HUGE fan of the Deep Curl line of bullets....including the 44/240 Gold Dot. Everyone that I have recovered at the range has held together, had fantastic weight retention, & beautiful expansion. The 44/270 & the 454/300 are my two favorites in their line.

hey guys i found this thread through a google search for reviews of the nosler muzzle loader bullets. I don't muzzle load but you might find this video i made using those bullets, im throwing them at 1850 out of the 16 inch and 1600 out of the 8 inch with my first starting loads.. the end of the video shows some recovered bullets and expansion. start at about 5:20 for those bullets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfsDS6way0k&list=UUknEBdpmKz9UNXXixoC97cw&index=2

Latest posts

Back