Info about White G-SERIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brute

Reaction score
Just acquired a White whitetail in .451 .Anyone suggest a good place to start concerning loads for med game ? Conical and/or saboted ? Also anyone have or know of a 209 conversion for sale for this rifle? Thanks in advance .

You have a great rifle...

I shoot Triple Seven powder 2f out of my M97 in .451 caliber White. I like 80 grains for hunting, although 65 grains is plenty and a little more accurate. I shoot a 460 grain No Excuses conical. I also have some 460 grain Bull Shop Conicals that I shoot in .451 diameter. That 65 grain charge by the way will pant any deer it comes across. It penetrated 8 inches of poplar fire wood. A deer don't stand a chance. Mine is scoped. The G series is the rifle made before my model. I have a G series Bison that is a good rifle.

As for the conversion.. I never wanted to switch from the #11 cap system. It always goes off for me.

I shoot 80-90 grs of 3F Swiss black powder behind a Barnes 300 gr MZ saboted bullet in my Whites with good results. I have also used
2F and 3F Triple Seven with good results. I have to agree with cayuga on using the #11 caps, never had any issues. However, a 209 conversion is available from Steve Brown at White Rifles if you decide to go that route.

Appreciate the info. Got a link for Steve Brown @ White Rifles ?

Really don't think ya need the 209 conversion kit. If ya want more flash/fire/spark than a #11 cap, ask Steve to send ya a Musket cap. While I have not had any issues with #11 caps, the last two years found me using my Whites with my Musket Breech plugs. I just find I can load them musket caps on the nipple with just my fingers and they are a lot easier to remove.

Brute:
I hand cast lyman .451 volunteer bullets around .495 gr. 70grains of 3f bp. I have taken moose and deer with that load. Casting will save you a ton of money!
Nit Wit

Brute said:
Appreciate the info. Got a link for Steve Brown @ White Rifles ?

Brute, I would suggest you stay with the #11 MAG caps... I for years shot the 209 in my White Ultra Mag even though Doc continuously suggested that I should use the #11 cap. His BP are engineered to operate very well with the #11 MAG cap.

Even better than the #11 Mag cap is the RWS Dynimit Noble 1075+

I am shooting a couple of 504 50 cal Whites. I have shot the .5045x460 Bull Shop with 90 grains of T7-3f, I always use 3f when shooting a percussion gun. The temps I hunt are often below freezing. 90 grains is really to hot but my Umag really shot well with that load. I also used a shot card between the bullet and the powder to prevent contamination of the powder by the lube on the bullet, but more importantly to insulate the bottom of the bullet from the heat of T7, which can easily melt the soft lead.

The one 451 White I have I do shoot more sabots out of it than I do conicals... but more people that you talk to will shoot conicals...

Sabotloader - Which sabot/bullet combo has been the best in your .451 ?

Brute said:
Sabotloader - Which sabot/bullet combo has been the best in your .451 ?

Just about everything I have shot from the rifle shoots well. For deer hunting I use a Lehigh/Bloodline 40x200 grain bullet, a MMP HPH-40x45 Tan sabot, 110 grains of T7-3F. Lehigh has also built a 40x230 grain prototype that is outstanding from a 1-20 twist. Barnes also makes a very good 195 grain bullet. Even the Speer 40-180 Gold Dot shoots very well.

Then there are the big lead conicals that shoot great and in the states where it might be legal would make an excellent elk bullet,

In the Bullshop pic above the 488 grain is very accurate. I never tried the others, but with the right combo they all should be very accurate. I have the 480 grain version an use 80 grains T73Fg in my .451 Super 91, very accurate an deadly!! :yeah:

Back