Finally got out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy o

Reaction score
Today after finishing my mowing, there was not even a breath of wind. So I gathered up my stuff and headed to the range. Wouldn't you know it by the time I got there some wind had picked up, not bad but still more than I wanted. I was finally going to get to shoot my Omega with the new scope and the built up stock comb. Love the scope and I definitely think building up the comb height was the right thing to do, but I was not able to shoot any impressive groups. With the breeze that kicked up and I think I drank too much coffee this week, I could not hold the rifle still on target. But I did finally get to chrono my load as well as shoot a water filled milk jug and capture the bullet. Load is 110gr volume BH209 pushing a 250gr Barnes TEZ. Chronoed speeds were very consistent except for the first one. They were 2128, 2085, 2088, 2087, 2093. With all speeds that close I feel I am measuring and loading pretty consistently. So now I need to lay off the caffeine for a week or two and then go shoot some more. I thought about buying a good grain scale and weighing powder for a more consistent load, but now I am not sure I need to.

Wow... that bullet is screaming. That should bring down about any critter you encounter.

Those are some impressive speeds.

Are u using the supplied sabot with the TEZs? I didn't get great results with the supplied sabots when I tried them.

I just ordered 50 of the flat base TEZs and plan on shooting them with a Harvester short black sabot. I haven't shot this combo before and want to see if it produces better results than the TMZs with the supplied sabot that I currently shoot.

Good text book speed with BH.........

I need to pick up some 290gr TEZ bullets, but I'll be using the H5045 LB sabots in the new rifle. MY Pro Hunter just loved the 250 TMZ.

Some guys like to measure out their BH209, but I have never found a need. I have gotten almost the identical speed from the exact same load that you are using. BH209 is not like smokeless rifle powder where as little as one grain can make a huge difference. Still it's whatever gives you the most confidence. There is no wrong answer, it just boils down to personal preference & mine is to spend my money on other things I need for the range & the hunt- Greg

BuckDoeHUnter,
Yes I am using the supplied sabots. Have shot good groups in the past so see no reason to change.

Greg,
Couldn't agree more. If I don't need it I don't want to spend money on it. I had considered doing it before I was able to chrono load. With that consistency I see no reason to weigh charges.

I weigh BH209 simply because its safe and easy through my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo. No other sub is safe to weigh though this scale and many others.

Latest posts

Back