Accuracy or Velocity? Wisdom Requested.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm too late but thought I would add another scope to the list. Midway has been running an off and on sale on the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 for $199, regular Midway price is $399. I gotta tell you guys this is a damn good scope for $199. I have one on my Savage 220 slug gun, one on one of my AR's and one on two of my muzzleloaders. My smokeless Encore has a Vortex Viper HP that I bought 1/2 off at Midway (I should have bought more of those!).

I have shot a lot of rounds with all of these rifles, probably well over 250 rounds and the AR over 1000 rounds. This scope has performed flawlessly. Turrets are crisp and precise and the glass is very clear edge to edge.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420141935?pid=141935
That's a great scope for that price ! I use vortex scopes also , i have 4 two viper HT's & two Diamondbacks. Great Scopes !

Well, got out and hunted the last 2 days. Didn't see anything. Did a ground blind over a "food plot" that was not planted. Next day I about put myself into the hospital using a climber. That ain't happening again. My mobility is pretty bad with my disability and bit off more than I could chew. Trying to get the locations of some permanent blinds they have set up on post for next week. Taking a break for the weekend as this is the 2nd anniversary of my son's passing. Thanks all for the help.

Well, got out and hunted the last 2 days. Didn't see anything. Did a ground blind over a "food plot" that was not planted. Next day I about put myself into the hospital using a climber. That ain't happening again. My mobility is pretty bad with my disability and bit off more than I could chew. Trying to get the locations of some permanent blinds they have set up on post for next week. Taking a break for the weekend as this is the 2nd anniversary of my son's passing. Thanks all for the help.
Please ! Be careful ! If you can get yourself a portable ground blind , that's what I use now , because I'm getting to old to climb & set up a stand anymore & possibly fall & get hurt real bad where I can't hunt anymore ! a good friend fell while bow hunting.He fell on top of his arrows & they all went in him under his arm pit & no one was around , he drug himself to the roadside & another Hunter Found Him & took Him to the hospital Or he would have bled to death . that Hunter Saved his life ! So please do yourself a favor & get a ground blind & be SAFE !!!

Please ! Be careful ! If you can get yourself a portable ground blind , that's what I use now , because I'm getting to old to climb & set up a stand anymore & possibly fall & get hurt real bad where I can't hunt anymore ! a good friend fell while bow hunting.He fell on top of his arrows & they all went in him under his arm pit & no one was around , he drug himself to the roadside & another Hunter Found Him & took Him to the hospital Or he would have bled to death . that Hunter Saved his life ! So please do yourself a favor & get a ground blind & be SAFE !!!
I had five ladder stands that were 22' to the seat. Putting them up was a trick, but I always had a rope to tie off on at the ground before going up. I gave up on climbers and ladder stands and opted for ground blinds. I've picked up a couple good ones and couldn't be happier. They're put out WAY AHEAD of the season.
To dang old to fall.

I had five ladder stands that were 22' to the seat. Putting them up was a trick, but I always had a rope to tie off on at the ground before going up. I gave up on climbers and ladder stands and opted for ground blinds. I've picked up a couple good ones and couldn't be happier. They're put out WAY AHEAD of the season.
To dang old to fall.
Yes Sir !!! You Betcha !!

I appreciate it very much. Yes, I am sticking to ground blinds from now on. I bought a little Ameristep Outhouse. Got a really nice blind before that, but I did not have the upper body strength to pop it open. I want a better blind, but it needs to be easy to put up and take down.

Deer have been harvested using roundballs, shot having only 500 foot pounds of energy.

If you are a far-reacher 125-200 yards, you'll need 1000 foot pounds to off-set windy day changes to bullet flight

Patched round ball is the only thing I've ever fired in my rifles. That started in the mid 1960s and latched on to me like Georgia tick. I can recall only two times that I killed a deer at 100 yards or a little over. It just doesn't take much to kill a deer. As long as the ball/bullet penetrates into the deer it can kill. Quite a few people have killed deer with c&b revolvers using black powder and round ball. 850 fps is very slow at 50 yards and even 20 yards. Velocity fall off faster than a possum trying for a record 100 meter sprint. I've killed a bunch of deer with different loads in a couple of .357 revolvers.

The primary thing needed to be successful is accuracy. Actual power comes in second. The target pictured was shot offhand, while seated without using any rest by me with one of the rifles that killed one of those 100+ yd. deer. This was years ago and I can't come close to that nowadays. And I haven't hunted in years due to health.

DSC00463.jpg

Patched round ball is the only thing I've ever fired in my rifles. That started in the mid 1960s and latched on to me like Georgia tick. I can recall only two times that I killed a deer at 100 yards or a little over. It just doesn't take much to kill a deer. As long as the ball/bullet penetrates into the deer it can kill. Quite a few people have killed deer with c&b revolvers using black powder and round ball. 850 fps is very slow at 50 yards and even 20 yards. Velocity fall off faster than a possum trying for a record 100 meter sprint. I've killed a bunch of deer with different loads in a couple of .357 revolvers.

The primary thing needed to be successful is accuracy. Actual power comes in second. The target pictured was shot offhand, while seated without using any rest by me with one of the rifles that killed one of those 100+ yd. deer. This was years ago and I can't come close to that nowadays. And I haven't hunted in years due to health.

DSC00463.jpg
That is some fine shooting. I am sorry your health has kept you from hunting. I can still get out there, but I cannot hunt like I used to. I am on a clock where I will get to a point I can't get out anymore, myself. God bless.

Latest posts

Back