FTX/SST's?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
Anyone shoot the .452 FTX or SST's sabotless in a SML? I need to pick up some new bullets for practice. I shoot Fury's for hunting and serious stuff but thinking about finding a little cheaper option for shooting steel over the summer. Didn't know if anyone has experience with them that it's worth trying or not so much?

I've whacked plenty of Bambis with SST in .452/200 grain and FTX bullets in .400/180 grain.

They aren't crappy afterthought plinking bullets. They are first class top quality bullets.

Save your money and use them. No need to waste money on Fury bullets.

FTX below. Like shooting a deer with razor blades.

PS: Those SST and FTX copper clad bullets are designed for cartridges. They won't compress at all into an ML bore/rifling. So I doubt you'll have any success going sabotless. You will need sabots to impart spin.

Attachments

• IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ve shot plenty of the 200-225 and the 250 grain FTX and all 3 were very accurate @100 yards. Harvested a few deer with the 250 without any issue. All were sized and between 56 to 60 grains oh H4198

I've shot a bunch of them in sabots. I don't think I ever have sabotless. I figured sure someone has tried it and curious as to their results and if it's worth getting some. Seems like sized a little tight over a wad they should work ok.
Maybe I'll grab a box to take out with me the next time I shoot.

I've whacked plenty of Bambis with SST in .452/200 grain and FTX bullets in .400/180 grain.

They aren't crappy afterthought plinking bullets. They are first class top quality bullets.

Save your money and use them. No need to waste money on Fury bullets.

FTX below. Like shooting a deer with razor blades.

PS: Those SST and FTX copper clad bullets are designed for cartridges. They won't compress at all into an ML bore/rifling. So I doubt you'll have any success going sabotless. You will need sabots to impart spin.
Explain, please.

Those Hornady copper cup bullets are designed to go in brass cases and then placed in the breech of a rifle/pistol.

When fired, the bullet gets squished into the grooves. This imparts spin on the bullet.

There's no way anyone is going to insert a copper bullet from the muzzle end and get it to compress/form to the rifling. If the bullet doesn't take the rifling it won't spin.

They need to go into a sabot so they can spin down range. Instead of tumble down range.

Those Hornady copper cup bullets are designed to go in brass cases and then placed in the breech of a rifle/pistol.

When fired, the bullet gets squished into the grooves. This imparts spin on the bullet.

There's no way anyone is going to insert a copper bullet from the muzzle end and get it to compress/form to the rifling. If the bullet doesn't take the rifling it won't spin.

They need to go into a sabot so they can spin down range. Instead of tumble down range.
Sure you can, I've done it many times. Once sized correctly, when the bullet is pushed down the barrel, the bullet does take on a small amount of rifling, like a scratch. The deeper rifling marks are made when the bullet is fired, the bullet obturates and fills the bore.

These all copper bullets were knurled for a snug fit in my 45 cal Apex SML barrel, you can clearly see the rifling marks.
g36aOr4.jpg

We're sending these to 1,000yds at Camp Atterbury. Pour 120grs volume of BH209 down the bore, push this bullet down the bore.............. send it.

1714246074897.jpeg

Sure you can, I've done it many times. Once sized correctly, when the bullet is pushed down the barrel, the bullet does take on a small amount of rifling, like a scratch. The deeper rifling marks are made when the bullet is fired, the bullet obturates and fills the bore.

These all copper bullets were knurled for a snug fit in my 45 cal Apex SML barrel, you can clearly see the rifling marks.
g36aOr4.jpg
That is interesting. Neat that it could be figured out successfully.

I was basing my comments on the OP's question. He said nothing about sizing and knurling. I thought he wanted to drop them in the bore as is. Sans sabot. Or try to ram the bullets down the bore as is.

Thank you for posting pics and explaining what you did. Gives me ideas for one of my rifles.

Really?

BL several of us have done this numerous times with great success. The bullets in most instances have the be resized to your bore before loading.
Here is an example of the accuracy you can get in doing so. Shot out of my 45=70 CVA Scout converted to .45 cal muzzleloader. Note the 45-70 normally takes a .458" diameter bullet but when converted to a muzzleloader, using the same barrel, you use a .452" or so diameter. This 5 shot group was shot at 100 yards with a 300 gr SST @ ..451" from my conversion and you can see it can be done with good success.
20231009_134824.jpg

Beginning to look as if you guys want to bust balz than have a discussion.
Nobody's busting balls here but it seems you need a bit more enlightening on shooting bullet 2 bore jacketed bullets. I'm really about 99.9% sure the OP knows he has to size the bullets to his bore a or quite possibly he can load the .452" SSTs without resizing.
I know the SSTs are good bullets but if a person wants to stretch his muzzleloader's range to beyond 300 yards the Furys are a better choice.

I would just say size them and go for it- I love FTX bullets for pistols, rifles, and have shot them with sabots out ML's that aren't smokeless. I don't shoot my smokeless a great deal, just enough to make sure it is zeroed properly for deer season. I shoot my other ML's much more-just cheaper using Triple Seven.

I would just say size them and go for it- I love FTX bullets for pistols, rifles, and have shot them with sabots out ML's that aren't smokeless. I don't shoot my smokeless a great deal, just enough to make sure it is zeroed properly for deer season. I shoot my other ML's much more-just cheaper using Triple Seven.
I just ordered SST’s & FTX’s yesterday

Latest posts

Back