More copper down range, then lead

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Never touched the scope the entire time shooting today.................

I had a dozen knurled Barnes 290's that I headed to the club to shoot this morning. I set up a couple targets on the 200yd range, then shot a few SST bullets just to foul up the barrel. It was fun.....

Started shooting the knurled Barnes and the groups would be acceptable to most, but I imagined it better. What I did notice right off the bat, was that the 290gr bullets shot 6" higher at 200yds, than the 300gr WM bullets. Now the Barnes being 10grs lighter, but a lower BC of .223, compared to the WM BC of .250. Notice my first sentence?

I set up a target at 300 yards and shot my remaining six rounds. Again, all bullets 6" high of the center and the group size was 4". Acceptable to many, but again I imagined better. I sent a second set, really taking my time. Same thing, 6" high with a group size of 4".

After checking the time and knowing I had a ton of leaves to pick up before the rain, snow or rain/snow that will be hitting here, I decided to shoot just 3 more rounds.

Three 300gr WM bullets at 300yds. Sorry the tape covers the one bullet hole, but its there.
Note: patches are from shooting the SST

that is some good shooting in my book. Did those three SST all fit under that one patch?

:D

Good shooting from the 300 yard bench. Should have no problem hitting that 9" kill area on a deer with plenty of room to spare. GOOD HUNTING :!:

Ray........ :yeah:

The target group shows 3 Whitetail Medicine bullets, sold by Ultimate Firearms. The covered holes were shot with the SST bullets. They shoot different for some reason and that's yet to be figured out............. :huh?: The Barnes were 6" above the centerline.

At 300yds the 300gr WM bullet has approximately 1,421 foot pounds energy and the velocity is approximately 1460fps.

Back