Ballistics trajectory and other geometry

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ode1891

Reaction score
I just got some bullets and sabots to sight in a brand new Accura MRX. I rarely get shots beyond 80 yards, so I’d prefer to sight in at 50. Actually, if the range allowed it, I’d set a target up at 75 yards. The ballistic charts on the Barnes 250s show sighting in at 150. If I sight in at 50 yards, is there a table showing me poi at 100? I will lob a couple at 100 yards, but I was wondering if any charts show ballistics if zeroed at 50. I know it all depends on the charge, barrel length etc…. Just looking for a chart with 50 yard zero

Shooting Barnes TEZ 250 s. Will start with 90 GR by volume but will measure weight to be consistent.

Thanks

View attachment 43021
Standard is 100 gr powder. Magnum is 150

Keep in mind that triple seven powder is hotter than 100 grains on these charts. 90 grains of triple seven would be about the same as 100 grains on these charts.
My eyes don’t do so good at 100 yards with 7 power, so in the past I’d lob a couple at 100 to get a general idea and they were . At 50 yards I ended up settling around 1”-2” high usually. Looking forward to shooting the new rifle. Need to measure out and weigh some powder loads. Never thought about bothering to weigh before reading posts on here. Edited.

Last edited:
I can set up a portable target at 75yds at my club's range. Once it's sighted in at that range I shoot at 50 and 100 yds. I find I'm about 1.5 " high at 50 and about the same at 100 yds.
You must use a light powder load and heavy bullets ? Thanks

Need to measure out and weigh some powder loads. Never thought about bothering to weigh before reading posts on here.
Unless you are terribly inconsistent with your volume measuring technique (maybe weigh a few of your volume charges to check that) - weighing isn’t likely to make any difference in your shooting at 50-100 yards.

I have yet to weigh a powder charge and shoot 2-3” groups out at 100 with open sights.

I would def not weigh to work up a load. Try several dif amounts of powder and when you find the amount of powder that does the best, then you can weigh if you want to

But remember to measure it out in volume, then dump it on the scale to see how much it weighs, then use that weight from then on.

If you have a chrono and know the BC of the bullet you can use one of the many online trajectory calculators

But even then I would only use it as a guide. You need to zero where you want it zeroed and then shoot groups and build a dope sheet for shorter and longer distances

There is no need to involve any kind of sophisticated ballistics charts for what he wants. If he sights in at 1” high at 50 yards, then tests it at 50 and 100, he will be in the ballpark. He might then have to tweek it up or down slightly.

Back