remington 700 ultimate anyone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure it isn't related to the scope? Reason for asking, there's been a number of Nikon failures this year that I know of.

I don't think so, Its the same scope I had on my tc omega but I could put another scope on it and try it

Dukkilr said:
I don't think so, Its the same scope I had on my tc omega but I could put another scope on it and try it

Might be something to check out first. I blew out a Nikon Monarch, which was repaired then I sold it. A guy brought his new Traditions over to set up and had put a Nikon Prostaff on it, that he'd had on his other muzzleloader. After about 8 rounds, the scope went totally south. Now I always liked the Nikon brand, but lately some have went bad. Before sending the rifle back to Remington, if you have another scope, I'd try it first. Just a possible contributing factor. Nothing like Remington getting the rifle back and find it shoots ok, then remarks back you should check your scope......

I wish I hadn't cleaned up my PM's on another forum. Had a shooter get with me who was in Colorado about to start his elk hunt and couldn't get his rifle to group. We communicated through PM, then by phone and I gave him a couple suggestions to try, then never heard back the results... :huh?:

Dukkilr said:
the 700 ultimate going to try a few more bullets and loads this weekend. If I can't get it to group it's going back into Remington

This is probably (most likely), not what you want to hear but, I just talked with a dealer who sold three different RU rifles. Two of those rifles he's shot himself with the customers himself and they shot great to 100yds. No trials beyond 100yds.
The third rifle he also shot, after the guy that purchased it came back in madder than heck. He told me that the rifle has been sent back to Remington, after he couldn't get it to hit a 4'x4' (four foot square) piece of cardboard at 37 YARDS!!! (thirtyseven yards). He told me turn around from Remington will be 1.5 months........... IF he's lucky.

Not a very good report for the quality of the RU barrel :oops:

Well it wasn't the scope put it back on my T/C omega and it shot fine at 120 yards
ioo_zps003347af.jpg

The gun is going back into Remington this week, wish that they would just give me my money back :x

Have friend who is shooting two models of the custom Johnston rifle, who purchased one of these production Remington versions. He likes the Remington so much, he talked me into purchasing one. I will not start to work up a load until after Christmas, but he shoots Parker bullets, with their sabot, I believe, the Remington ignition case, he re-primes with Fed mag match primers, I believe he said he's getting four re-primes on the factory Remington case and is seeing no leakage, and he uses 90 grains weight of Blackhorn 209. I know he shoots the Parkers out the Johnston rifles, but I don't think he loads them with the Blackhorn, but he routinely shoots great longrange groups with those rifles out to about 400 yards or so. The Remington is not shooting as tiny of a measured group, but nearly as good, and exceedingly good for hunting. He speaks of the Remington like it is a cost effective plain jane production version of his custom Johnston models. Think he said his Remington cost about a third of his last purchased Johnston. The Remington cost $800 over the counter at a retail gun store, so I guess that puts his last custom in the $2400 range. He further touted the improvement in the Remington version of the breech plug, said he has needed to send his Johnston back more than once for a fix, whereas his remington breech plug has been trouble free, and he loves having the ability to remove and replace the plug without factory servicing. As a result, he now hunts with the Remington, and saves the Johnstons for bling and targets. He took one deer with it so far, and I believe he said that shot was just under 300 yards, shot across a bean field.

End result, I was talked into one, and mine will be used for CO elk, so I'll likely not use his combination, though I do intend to shoot Blackhorn 209. I'd also probably start with a load much lower than the 180 grain volume load you used on the bottom end. No Blackhorn expert, but I believe his 90 grains weight would come out less than 130 grains volume. I'd suggest trying the factory Remingtons, or an equivalent with the Blackhorn, somewhere closer to that 130 grain volume load, plus or minus, on the upper end. I will be trying out the new CO legal, "non-sabot" Federal, to see if that works, you might think about putting that bullet on your list to try. I'd also suggest shooting the same load used in your Omega, to see how that groups. Not saying your load is all jacked up on the high end, but curious if they were backed down, you'd find it would group better.

Good Luck :)

Is there a need, or has anyone fabricated a snap cap from an ignition case for dry firing in either of these "Ultimate" versions??

Seems decapping one of the cases for ignition, then filling the empty primer pocket with cork, rubber, leather, RTV silicone, shoe-goo, etc., would be a good idea. In addition, when leaving the rifle loaded during hunting season, the breech would not be sealed from moisture when the live ignition case is removed. To me, sounds like an additional good idea to have one of these dummy/snap cases fabricated, possibly with the head bright orange for safety, to keep the chamber sealed during the long storage times while hunting.

Thoughts?

Dukkilr said:
Well it wasn't the scope put it back on my T/C omega and it shot fine at 120 yards
ioo_zps003347af.jpg

The gun is going back into Remington this week, wish that they would just give me my money back :x

Well at least you nailed that part down. Sweet shooting Omega, gotta be confident with that rifle. :)
Just sucks that you spend the $ and have something with issues like that right out of the gate. If it was me, I'd probably ask for my $ back too...especially if I already had a gun shooting like yours just did. Good luck, keep us posted.

Yeah, I'm not interested in shooting less than 150 grains of powder out of the remington as to thats why I bought it. The whole selling point of the remington is 200 grains 300 yards and a lot flatter trajectory, it could very well shoot a great group at 130 grains of powder or so but I already have a muzzleloader that shoots great at that charge just wanted a faster flatter shooting gun.

sg.ellis2 said:
Have friend who is shooting two models of the custom Johnston rifle, who purchased one of these production Remington versions.............. . He further touted the improvement in the Remington version of the breech plug, said he has needed to send his Johnston back more than once for a fix.............

What was the actual reason your friend sent his rifle back relating to the breech plug?

I know Ken very well and seldom does he have to replace breech plugs. However since owners started shooting BH through a rifle designed to shoot pellets, he's getting more returned, all from shooting BH through them. He just replaced a breech plug that had over 10,000 rounds through it, but shooting pellets only.

Dukkilr said:
Yeah, I'm not interested in shooting less than 150 grains of powder out of the remington as to thats why I bought it. The whole selling point of the remington is 200 grains 300 yards and a lot flatter trajectory, it could very well shoot a great group at 130 grains of powder or so but I already have a muzzleloader that shoots great at that charge just wanted a faster flatter shooting gun.

Understand. I'm of the opinion, however, you may see more velocity out of the (over 120 grain volume) load of Blackhorn than you'd think, appears a bit quicker to me than the 777. If goal is to kill medium sized animals inside 300 yards, I don't see it an issue. Even if you upped the BH charge a bit, it may be possible you'd reach the goal you were seeking without using a max 200 grain volume load. I don't look at it as a "It's gotta shoot 200 grains or else" issue.

Best of luck :)

ENCORE50A said:
sg.ellis2 said:
Have friend who is shooting two models of the custom Johnston rifle, who purchased one of these production Remington versions.............. . He further touted the improvement in the Remington version of the breech plug, said he has needed to send his Johnston back more than once for a fix.............

What was the actual reason your friend sent his rifle back relating to the breech plug?

I know Ken very well and seldom does he have to replace breech plugs. However since owners started shooting BH through a rifle designed to shoot pellets, he's getting more returned, all from shooting BH through them. He just replaced a breech plug that had over 10,000 rounds through it, but shooting pellets only.

He was shooting Blackhorn 209 and ran into issues. Sounds like you guys are on the same page, with exception being, he continues to shoot Blackhorn out of the Remington. But, if that ends up becoming an issue, then at some point we'll know. At this point, I'm leaning toward it not being an issue. Though I'd expect someone could run the gun too many times unsealed and goof up the plug. But, I'm not seeing a change of the Remington breech plug as being a major headspace ordeal, just a plug and play. Time will tell.

But between me, you and the fence post, I'm a fan of both guns, just that the Johnston version is too spendy for my wants. The Rem version gets me into the door. Hope in the long run, the whole "Ultimate" gig works out for both the production line gun, as well as the custom gun.

Later :)

That explains it, shooting BH. Ken strongly recommends that you NOT shoot BH through his rifles. I chose to stop shooting it after the first gas cut plug. I get along to darn good with Ken, to suggest he put a BH compatible breech plug in his rifles :wink:

I'm of the belief that if a shooter only used NEW BRASS ONE (1) TIME, you might get away with it. If the breech plug were just, say .003" further out, where a shooter could ream the inside of his brass for a super tight fit, it would probably be even better.

The issues that are with the Remington, ARE NOT with the ignition system. Its all in the barrel that they're making and putting on it. They could use any other custom barrel and end up with better results but, that comes at a price. Once they get that barrel down, I believe you'll start seeing the RU in competition.

Funny how less expensive rifles shoot BH without any damage. :poke: It sounds like Remington is looking for a scape goat for a flawed design.

The Remington Ultimate has a 1:26 twist barrel, so maybe not the best choice with their packaged Barnes bullet? The 250's shoot great in my 1:28 twist rifles, but my 1:24 50 cal likes heavier 350+ gr saboted bullets. The 290 gr to 300+ gr bullets might be a better choice?

Busta said:
The Remington Ultimate has a 1:26 twist barrel, so maybe not the best choice with their packaged Barnes bullet? The 250's shoot great in my 1:28 twist rifles, but my 1:24 50 cal likes heavier 350+ gr saboted bullets. The 290 gr to 300+ gr bullets might be a better choice?

Wonder if that's why UF switched from the 275gr BE (Fury) to the 300gr?

Until Remington gets the barrel problems corrected, I'd hold off on purchasing one.

Another new owner with a rifle which land/grove is out of spec by .011" just popped up yesterday.

Latest posts

Back