remington 700 ultimate anyone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have several flat faced and even domed (convex) plugs that shoot Blackhorn 209 just fine.

Kahuner said:
encore50;

I don't understand the meaning of your last reply. Explain please.

I have nothing against the rifle and actually hope its a success for Remington. That said, its almost impossible to find shooters that have actually tried to utilize its 300yd shooting. I believe and I MAY BE MISTAKEN but, I may have read that Carlos was shooting long range with a RU. I can not confirm that and I may be way off base...

I know of a dealer that's sold three rifles and he hasn't heard from the new owners. I don't have the rifle, I have an Ultimate Firearms rifle and, I'm good friends with Ken Johnston. I know how the Remington was developed. Last I talked with Ken, he hadn't heard of any long range reports shooting the rifle either, however that may have changed too. I also know that WP is trying to develop load data, which is really already available. Although writers have shot BH through the rifle, the ignition system was never designed for it. I'm also of the opinion that before long, we'll also be hearing of shooters having to replace their breech plugs, rather they're made from 416ss or not. Re-using the brass to many times, will gas cut those breech plugs, 416ss or not.

So in a nut shell, I along with a lot of other shooters, are looking for those reports, that for some reason just aren't available.

Hi, new here just found this site while looking for info on the 700ml. I baught one 2 weeks ago and having troubles with it. The best group I can get out of it at 100 yards is 4" to 9" been trying loads at 180-200 grains 777 with the remington bullets and three different barnes bullets. I called remington and the womaen on the phone told me to try 385 grains of powder I said you mean bullet nope powder after a long conversation she said oops your right that was for bullet, so no help there and they want me to send it in and wait 6 weeks to hear from them when my season opens in 2 weeks, not happy

There's several on this board that can get you closer than those groups.
I feel confident if you back load down to 140 grain and use some hornady 300 gr sst would get your groups tightened way up.
Pm omega45 im sure he could give info.

Wow 385 grains of powder!!!! Hope no one took her up on that advice! Have you started with checking the basics: rings tight? mount tight?

yeah, I've been trying everthing. Finally got through to a gunsmith at Remington and he asid there's got to be something wrong with it and send it in and they will fast track it through.

looks like I will probally be still shooting my trusty old t/c omega again this year, I'm pretty disapointed in that I was hoping to have a new toy for this years deer season.

WOW! 180-200 grns powder! Thats way outside my realm. Do you have to lean against a tree to shoot it? I would try something in the 100-120 grn area with a 290 barnes

Dukkilr said:
Hi, new here just found this site while looking for info on the 700ml. I baught one 2 weeks ago and having troubles with it. The best group I can get out of it at 100 yards is 4" to 9" been trying loads at 180-200 grains 777 with the remington bullets and three different barnes bullets. I called remington and the womaen on the phone told me to try 385 grains of powder I said you mean bullet nope powder after a long conversation she said oops your right that was for bullet, so no help there and they want me to send it in and wait 6 weeks to hear from them when my season opens in 2 weeks, not happy

OMG! I'd have immediately asked to speak to a supervisor, but that's me.

I had an owner contact me, after, he arrived for an elk hunt. He was having problems getting the rifle to group using the suggested loads. I made a few recommendations but, unfortunately I never heard rather they worked for him or not. :?

If it were me, I'd increase the weight of the bullet, at least to the 290gr Barnes. I'm shooting the 300gr Whitetail Medicine (SST) bullet and when I shot lighter bullets, it didn't work out. I've yet to get the 290gr Barnes matched up with the proper sabot and group to my satisfaction. More work this next year.

All the basic questions...... Scope? Mounts? Rings.... all torqued properly and loc-tite (blue) Good shooting bench? Rest?

I'm shooting 180grs (3-T7M pellets) and a 300gr bullet. Recoil is very manageable and I'm 63 years young.

yeah everything is tight and locktighted, tried 300 barnes mz 290 barnes and some 250 barnes, along with the 250 remingtons that came with it, shooting from a solid table with a caldwell lead sled

Dukkilr said:
yeah everything is tight and locktighted, tried 300 barnes mz 290 barnes and some 250 barnes, along with the 250 remingtons that came with it, shooting from a solid table with a caldwell lead sled

What pellets are you using?

Squeeze said:
WOW! 180-200 grns powder! Thats way outside my realm. Do you have to lean against a tree to shoot it? I would try something in the 100-120 grn area with a 290 barnes

I'm with you Squeeze. 120gr is about all I'm personally interested in, even if my gun can shoot more. I feel like you reach the law of diminishing returns much beyond that. But I may be wrong, never shot more than 120 in anything.

Encore50A....What's the thought process behind shooting such a heavy load? Super long range?

WV Hunter said:
Squeeze said:

I'm with you Squeeze. 120gr is about all I'm personally interested in, even if my gun can shoot more. I feel like you reach the law of diminishing returns much beyond that. But I may be wrong, never shot more than 120 in anything.

Encore50A....What's the thought process behind shooting such a heavy load? Super long range?

You'd be surprised how little recoil there is, shooting 180grs from a rifle with a muzzle brake. Its actually no more than when I was shooting 75grs weight of BH209 from my Pro Hunter.
Where I hunt and how I hunt, 200yd+ shots are common, unless I'm hunting in the woods. I actually split my hunting, mornings woods, evenings the fields. Yes, I shoot 180grs for extended range and energy.

ENCORE50A said:
WV Hunter said:
Squeeze said:

You'd be surprised how little recoil there is, shooting 180grs from a rifle with a muzzle brake. Its actually no more than when I was shooting 75grs weight of BH209 from my Pro Hunter.
Where I hunt and how I hunt, 200yd+ shots are common, unless I'm hunting in the woods. I actually split my hunting, mornings woods, evenings the fields. Yes, I shoot 180grs for extended range and energy.

777 pellets what powder bullets are you shooting. I cant even come close to that at 100 yards!

I'm shooting 3 - T7M (magnum) pellets, using Harvester H5045LB sabots. The bullet is the .452" - 300gr Whitetail Medicine bullet, which is an SST built by Hornady under contract for Ultimate Firearms Inc. The metal experts that I sent bullets to, couldn't find any significant differences between the WM and SST, other than the polymer tip difference. HOWEVER....... they don't shoot the same, not even close. I tried the SST in the H5045LB at the range and couldn't get them to group. Not just once, but numerous times. So to this day, I have no clue what the differences in the bullets are, other than the polymer tip.

This is just one target I shot while trying to get the SST to group. I shot the SST first, then the WM bullet. On a previous target, I reversed the order with the same final results. This is a 300yd target photo. The scope was adjusted after shooting, to the WM bullet, which obviously groups tighter.

Dukkilr said:

do you have the 700ml or the 700 ultimate.?
2 different guns

the 700 ultimate going to try a few more bullets and loads this weekend. If I can't get it to group it's going back into Remington

Latest posts

Back