remington 700 ultimate anyone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaconda44

Reaction score
does anyone here own the new 700 ultimate.?
I couldn't find a manual online for it I like to look at them before I buy a new muzzle loader
I ask Remington and they are sending me one. I heard the breech plug doesn't have to come out under normal
shooting conditions. my question is what is considered normal conditions .?
I also hear the breech plug is torqued in at 80 foot pounds. sound like it might be a issue taking it out and putting it back in.

I know this is a new gun just looking for the low down on it.
thanks

I have one. It doesn`t seem to be real popular here. I used it during the Md early ml season with no shots taken. Shot it Sunday after being laoded for a month plus with BH209 right on target at 100 yards. I haven`t had extra time to stretch out to 200 or 300 yards yet but hope to soon as it`s going to Iowa to hunt with Judd Cooney after Christmas. It`s extremely well made. I haven`t had the breech plug out .You might want to read some of the Randy Wakeman info . Good Luck

Nothing against it. Most of us have an assortment in the stable that gets it done. I have my Knight M-L's that I like, so I can't see buying more.

The exception is if a great deal falls into my lap, which happens once in a blue moon. :D

Now first off I have no experience with the firearm but some sites say that BH 209 powder is not recommended in the new Rem. Just passing along what I have read.

In fact on this site just below your posting entitled "time to eat crow" they talk at some length about the new Rem and BH powder.

DEEREHUNTER said:
I have one. It doesn`t seem to be real popular here. I used it during the Md early ml season with no shots taken. Shot it Sunday after being laoded for a month plus with BH209 right on target at 100 yards. I haven`t had extra time to stretch out to 200 or 300 yards yet but hope to soon as it`s going to Iowa to hunt with Judd Cooney after Christmas. It`s extremely well made. I haven`t had the breech plug out .You might want to read some of the Randy Wakeman info . Good Luck

There's a lot of prospective buyers looking for long range reports with the rifle, few are showing up. If you do shoot to 300 and have the time, please post the results and your targets.

As for RW, he avoids answering technical questions, bans those from is FB page who ask them.

well I got a manual in the mail yesterday and was looking through it I would scan a pdf copy if someone could tell me how or where to load it to the webpage.....

one thing I don't like is it say you don't have to remove the breech plug under normal condition or normal maintenance.?
the other thing is it says you will need to put you gun in a vise or the barreled action in a vise to take out the breech plug because it is torqued to 100 foot pounds.

and you will have to re torqued to 100 foot pound so you need a gun/action vise and a torque wrench to do it. now that seems like it may be more trouble than its worth.

No different than its big brother, the Ultimate Firearm Inc. rifle. Cleaned properly, it doesn't need removal. Think of it like you would one of your old side hammers, did you remove a breech plug? You HAVE to step out of your "normal box" with this rifle. That's what made me step to the BP Xpress. Believe me, it isn't easy stepping outside of what we have come to believe as "normal". Its a huge change and people have a hard time dealing with change. I'm used to the procedure and confident with the rifle. Now how the new Remington will shoot long range......... THAT'S the question everyone's waiting for. I know a couple guys that are more than willing to spring for the Remington but, not until they receive some of those 300yd reviews.

well if it is what you say about not having to remove the breech plug im all in for that. as I have several side locks
and I never worried about them.. do they have a hose or fixture to go over the nipple area to clean with water.?
how do you clean yours after shootng.?
thanks

anaconda44 said:
well if it is what you say about not having to remove the breech plug im all in for that. as I have several side locks
and I never worried about them.. do they have a hose or fixture to go over the nipple area to clean with water.?
how do you clean yours after shootng.?
thanks

I clean the heck out of it. I use both Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine and I'll use the T/C T7 cleaner sometimes. My rifle has a muzzle brake, that I remove and place in a container of Butch's, while I clean the rest of the rifle. By the time the rifle is clean, the brake is pulled out of the container and just wiped off. Its spotless. I use larger patches and my cleaning jag is perfectly flat on the end. I use an old brass case w/spent primer, and close the bolt on it. I completely saturate a patch and start it in the barrel with my little finger first, then use the rod. I push it to the breech plug, set the rifle barrel up, then let it set for a few minutes while I'm getting other things ready. After setting a couple minutes, I swab the living heck out of it. Then its brush time. I snipped the end of the twisted wire holding the bristles, making it flat on the end. I brush the heck out of it, swab it, then brush it... repeat until I'M SATISFIED. When swabbing, it important to spin the rod around on the breech plug. I use the little finger to start the patch, in hopes that there's extra when its seated on the breech plug. When I'm satisfied, its swabbed dry, then I lubricate the barrel and the inside is complete. I remove the stock EVERY TIME and completely clean and lubricate the entire rifle. I also clean the scope, rings and mounts EVERY time. Because I'm shooting T7, any propellant after shooting that may get on the scope, will cause it to corrode, so I always clean my scope. I don't forget to wipe down the stock either. I want my rifle clean, its a heck of an investment and I plan on keep it that way. I've NEVER had any cleaner after finishing in my brass case, but I use the case anyway. My action has no blowback, but that's cleaned also along with the bolt, then a light coating of lubricant.

Like I mentioned, its completely stepping out of the box of what's been "normal" for such a long time for many of us. Before Knight came out with the "modern in-line" and we were all shooting side hammers, we took care of them in pretty much the same manner. Every single guy on this forum that shoots or did shoot a side hammer, if they remember it, cleaned their rifle similar (except for hoses on nipples, and pumping water through them). Its like stepping back to a point, yet with many other differences.

anaconda;

Don't believe everything you read! The Remington 700 Ultimate breech plug IS NOT TORQUED TO 100 ft/lbs!!!!! It's 100 in/lbs!!! Or converted; 8.7 ft/lbs!!! I have service my breech plug and it's no issue at all!!

The amount of misinformation on the internet is overwhelming!! People who don't understand or don't know should keep their piehole shut!!

I own a Rem 700 UML and I wish I could answer your question as to long range accuracy. I've fired mine 3 times so far just to get it sighted-in. Our ML season has started in MN, I'm hunting vs shooting at the range. When ML season is over, I'm sending the rifle to Jeff Hankins for a 45 cal conversion to smokeless/ sabot-less.

Regarding shooting BH 209 in the Rem 700 UML, there is 2 points to make. 1. The breech plug that comes standard in the rifle is not really designed for the use of BH 209 (or any loose powder) because the front of the breech plug is flat. Every breech plug I've seen that is meant to use w/ loose powder like those used in the T/C Encore, has a pocket or dished out area allowing the powder propellants to get closer to the primer. Remington does not offer one that I know of. 2. The ignition system in the Rem 700 UML is different than a standard ML and prior to using BH 209 I would wait and see what WP comes back with as far as recommendations. WP is working w/ a Rem 700 UML and I would expect to see load recommendations and a newly designed breech plug in the not-too-distant future. Not saying you can't use it, just sayin' it won't be an ideal situation went it comes to reliable ignition.

I would expect accuracy at long range is not going to be an issue to most people. It's going to take some time to figure it out. It's so close to a BP Express, it's gotta be accurate at lease to 300 yards.

Kahuner

Then you may want to look at the Savage breach plug and the ULA breach plug. Both are basically flat and both are designed for loose powder.

Sounds like misinformation.

I also have flat faced BP's for my White ML's that seem to work very well with loose powder. I also have concave faced BP's for the Whites.

I also must admit most of my BP's have a concave face.

I am not sure that a flat face precludes it from shooting loose powder.

I believe there are more important factors that need to be done to shoot BH successfully and reliably.

Kahuner said:
anaconda;

. Our ML season has started in MN, I'm hunting vs shooting at the range. When ML season is over, I'm sending the rifle to Jeff Hankins for a 45 cal conversion to smokeless/ sabot-less..

Kahuner

It would be interesting to hear what Jeff has to say about the original Remington. Also and probably not polite to ask but, I'm doing it anyway....... what's your estimate for your final cost after the new rifles complete??

GM54-120;

Yup; I worded that incorrectly. I should've said loose powder (like BH 209) works well w/ a breech plug that has a "dished-out nose" in front if a 209 shotshell primer is the ignition source. I incorrectly applied that logic to the Rem 700 UML. :oops:

I don't know what a ULA is.

If you'd like to know how Jeff feels about the Rem 700 UML............... ask him not me.

If you like to know how much a conversion costs.......... there's another question for Jeff.

I found Jeff to be helpful and reasonably priced.

I looked at the manual that Remington sent me this week
It does say that after the breech plug is taken out it needed to be torqued to 100 foot pounds . page 14 of the manual.
so I took it as that was what is was from the factory.
thanks

anaconda;

You sure you're reading that right?

Pg 14, lower right corner, by the picture 13 inset, step 7 it says: "Tighten the breech plug to 100 in-lbs." That is directly out of the manual that came with my rifle.

100 foot-lbs of torque is the type of torque you apply to a F250 lug nut.

Kahuner said:
anaconda;

You sure you're reading that right?

Pg 14, lower right corner, by the picture 13 inset, step 7 it says: "Tighten the breech plug to 100 in-lbs." That is directly out of the manual that came with my rifle.

100 foot-lbs of torque is the type of torque you apply to a F250 lug nut.

yes you are correct.
thank you for correcting me on that.
I sure don't want to add to any confusion

anaconda, don't feel bad, everybody makes mistakes. Evidenced by my blunder earlier in this thread! DOH!!

The powders intended for use in the ULA and Savage are "like" BH209 in the sense they are harder to ignite than say Triple7. They have ignited BH209 very well for me too including loose fitting conicals. The ULA has been exceptional in this regard.

Its not some much the recessed face as it is the correct internal geometry of the breach plug. The ULA plug is short, flash channel is semi large diameter and the primer is close to the powder. The primer is heavily supported to handle the extra stress put on it by this design.

BP2.jpg

When the action is closed, there is no gap between my bolt and plug except the primer rim. The bolt head spaces on the 209 primer rim very tightly creating a near perfect seal. Zero blowby is the result and all the fire goes to the powder.

BoltBP4.jpg

BTW ULA Stands for Ultra Light Arms. Now they are called NEW Ultra Light Arms. Melvin Forbes is the owner and designer. My action weighs 20oz hence the model name Model 20. The NEW ULA MLs are called M209s.

Latest posts

Back