Cooper of Montana - Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Crowhunter1 started the discussion about these new inline muzzleloaders being manufactured in Montana and I have done some further digging on the subject. From everything I can see and find the guys building these ML's and the rifles are top notch people.

http://www.cooperfirearms.com

I believe they did have Toby Bridges test and review the rifle and he did have really positive comments about the rifle, but, and I apologize to Mr. Bridges, I really do not take a lot of his reviews at face value, kinda like believing everything that Randy Wakeman has to say.

Anyway I have been trying to find out more about the rifle. This is a picture of one of the rifles.

1423237530.jpg

The receiver LOOKS like a long action Remington 700, but really is not - they build (Copper) their own receiver. And even in this picture I have or think I have found out they do have a shorter action that they are going to use in the final version of the rifle...

It could look more like the one in this picture.

schnabel.png

Here are some of the rifle specs as listed by Steve of Cooper

MODEL 22 ML SPECIFICATIONS:

• ACTION: Stainless or Blued (Chrome Moly) steel with one rear locking lug bolt action muzzle loader. *see foot note.
• MAGAZINE: N/A
• EXTRACTION: Primer is held captive in a slotted bolt face, which allows positive extraction from the breech plug & easy manual removal from the bolt face.
• EJECTION: N/A
• TRIGGER: Timney single stage trigger.
• ACTION DIMENSIONS: 8.25” x 1.3”
• AVAILABLE CALIBERS: 50
• SAFETY: Two position on tang.
• PASSIVE SAFETIES: Bolt handle acts as safety lug when in the locked (in battery) position. Action has gas vent holes.
• WEIGHT: 7.75 #
• LENGTH: 44 ¾” with 26” barrel
• BARREL: Stainless or blued (Chrome Moly) steel, 26” 50 caliber 1x28 twist. Barrel has 11 degree target crown beveled to facilitate loading from the muzzle. *see foot note
• BREECH PLUG: Stainless steel, removable with supplied tool.
• STOCKS: Walnut or exotic species with hand checkering (various grades) or laminate (various color schemes). All stocks are glass bedded.
Available in Classic, Custom classic, western classic, Schnabel, and Jackson game.
• IGNITION: #209 shotgun primer
• RAM ROD: Easton carbon fiber core with aluminum sheath, extendable, brass tips threaded 10/32 for accessories.
• SIGHTING EQUIPMENT: Action is drilled & tapped to accept standard Cooper scope bases or the Ken Farrell picatinney rail for the Model 22 action.
Open sights are an option & are New England Custom Guns top mount variety.

The Model 22 ML is rated to handle standard “Magnum” (150 grains, volume) of black powder or a substitute. It IS rated to handle Black Horn 209 powder. It is NOT rated for smokeless powder.
* Action cannot be converted to fire center fire cartridges.

Sure does look like a nice rifle...

I have one of their .22 Rifles if they shoot like those will be hard to beat

Sabotloader,

Is it your impression that single lug will provide a strong seal against blowback in the action?

Dutch said:
Sabotloader,

Is it your impression that single lug will provide a strong seal against blowback in the action?

I do not remember where I read it, but there was a comment about the breech area remaining clean. I am assuming and really believe the bolt is equipped with a face like any regular bolt and rails for the primer to slide in, so technically the primer can not be pushed back and out. Also I have not seen any mention of which primer they were using which might make some difference because the different length primers on the market.

A little more information:

The price range for our Muzzleloaders will range from $1595.00-$3095.00. But this is still probably subject to change. The stocks are very expensive and there is a movement possibly to get it into a light weight composite, not offered right now.

Also, the actions & barrels are all either 4140 chrome Moly or 416 stainless steel. The breach plug is heat treated 416 stainless to increase life & reduce flame cutting. There is no sub par non firearms grade steel used.

About the nicest looking inline Ive seen but 1600-3000 bucks is alot of dough for a frontstuffer...
But cant say I wouldnt buy one.

Beautiful rifle, but a little pricey. Not saying I wouldn't want one. Wish list rifle.

I really like the 2nd pic with the SHORT action. Its similar in style to the NULA. It has a rear locking lug too. The NULA has 2 if you include the bolt handle. The Cooper is likely similar.

Hello all,

My name is Glenn & I am one of the folks at Cooper Firearms who had a very direct hand in bringing our Model 22 ML to life. If anyone has any questions or would like any information not mentioned, please don't be afraid to ask. You are also of course welcome to call me directly at the shop & I'd be happy to talk about the rifles with you. If any of you are in the Western MT area, please drop by & I'd be happy to give you a tour where you can watch our rifles being made.

I would like to clarify that the second rifle pictured by Sabotloader is the Model 57-M, which is our rimfire action. It is a smaller action than the Model 22 action that the ML is based on. At this time there is no plans to change the style or dimensions of the Model 22 ML action. I would like to mention that a Pacific Northwest legal version will very likely be made.

We are looking at offering synthetic stocks, but that is still up in the air & will likely depend on sales & demand. But I did want to mention that it is potentially on the table for the future.

Left handed rifles are also an option, though the chances of the lefties being offered in synthetic is low.
Cerakote metal finishes are also available in several colors.

Dutch had a question about lock up that I will answer. The bolt locks up in a very similar manner to the Remington Model 700 ML & the Savage 110 MLII. The lock up on our rifle is certainly no less strong than either of those models.

Those models achieve lock up with a screw engaging in a "dog leg" groove machined into the bolt body. The screw also serves as the bolt stop & release. We use a similar set up but the lock up & bolt stop/release is based on a normal Cooper bolt stop/release & NOT a screw. It cannot vibrate loose on recoil, it cannot be over tightened & bind the bolt, & it does not require a tool of any kind to remove the bolt form the action. Aesthetically it looks just like the bolt release on every other rifle we build.

We are using a standard #209 primer & Sabotloader is correct about the bolt face.

Great looking gun and great to have you as a forum member that's willing to answer questions.
Steve

Here are some pics of myself & two other employees from this past MT hunting season. Hopefully they give you an idea of the size & scale of the rifle. The only differences in these rifles & finished versions for sale is that these two have 24" barrels instead of 26" & have French walnut stocks instead of the standard Claro walnut or laminate.

That is a classy Muzzleloader...looking over the gallery of rifles you have they all scream Quality ...I am truly impressed ..all the wood shown is fantastic...they are old school quality ..the custom guns of yester year...I wish you all the best in your venture..all I can say is WOW..all of them are nice

Al

Here are some pics of the breach plug removal wrench. This one is high polish blued steel. The finish of the wrench will match the material/finish of the action of the rifle. The options are matte blue, high polish blue, matte stainless, & Cerakote (various colors). I suppose if you wanted a rifle (& wrench to match) in high polish stainless we'd build it, but boy it would be different! We can do matching barrel & action in either blued or stainless or a blued action with stainless barrel (my preferred). If you order a blued action & decide that you want it with a stainless barrel, there would be no upcharge. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back