Alliant Black MZ report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
I am normally a T7 shooter, but I found a good deal on Black MZ that actually made the hazmat fee worth while. To my surprise I found that this powder does not product a crud ring in my Knight Ultralite unlike T7. Accuracy was phenomenal with a 300gr 44cal Hornady XTP in a green crushed rib sabot over 100gr of this powder.

I used this load for hunting this year. I just got home last night. I did not get a deer (but the season is not over). But what was interesting is that I stayed in a hotel for three nights on my trip. Well you cannot leave your firearms in a car in a hotel parking lot at night so the rifle was loaded on Wednesday morning, spent all day in a tree stand in a steady rain. Then it got heated in the hotel each night and cooled each morning on the hunting property. Finally I discharged it late last night. It went kaboom just like it was supposed to do. Needless to say, I am very happy with its performance. I have four pounds on hand, so I am going to keep testing it. I think I might have found a new favorite powder.

Now I know that many of you are Blackhorn fans. I know that is a good powder, and I shoot it on occasion. But is doesn't exactly fit my preferences all the time.

For this topic I would like to hear about any experiences you might have had, good or bad, with Black MZ.

I've been using Black MZ powder since it hit the market. Black MZ has worked very well for me: My guns loaded with Black MZ have accounted for over 20 deer and at least 100 wild hogs. Several years ago an old ballistician and myself fired 20 rounds loaded with Black MZ through a TC Encore. The standard deviation was 17 fps.

This buck was taken at a range of 120 yards with my .50 Encore. The powder charge was 120 grains of Black MZ. The bullet was the excellent 300 grain .452 XTP magnum in the black crush rib sabot. Deer went about 12 yards after being hit.

i also use Black MZ with patched round ball.

Latest posts

Back