Black powder sub testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys before I start this testing next month I am requesting that you give me your opinion on two decisions I have to make.
But before that I will tell you what the testing will be and the materials used. To eliminate any variables I will be doing all the shooting. I will be testing BH209, Alliant Black MZ, Pyrodex RS, and Triple 7.
I will be using a Remington 700ML .50 cal. with a 4-16X Vortex scope. My bullet will be a 300 gr Hornady XTP .452" with a Harvester Black CR sabot. Primer will likely be a Federal 209A but could be a Winchester std 209. Shots will be shot through a chronograph and velocities recorded (SD will be calculated later). All shots will be taken (hopefully) the same day. I will fire one 5 shot group with two separate charges of each powder with a 5 minute cool down between groups. Barrel will be swabbed after each shot with one patch dampened with windex/alcohol mix followed by a dry patch. After those 2 groups (10 shots) the BP will be removed and cleaned and the barrel will also be cleaned and dried.

The two factors I would like your opinion on are the two charges and the distance.
1. For charges I am undecided between 80 and 100 by V (but weighed for consistency) or 100 and 120 by V.
2. For distance shall I shoot at 50, 75 or 100 yards.
3. Rem 700 .50 cal or Mountaineer .45 cal

I'll likely do this test about the 2nd week in Sept once I get settled in back in PA and get everything together
so tell me what you want from those two factors above.
Majority rules.

NOTE: If I use my Mounatineer .45 cal (same model scope) I will use 10mm 200 gr Hornady XTPs in a Harvester blue CR sabot.

Last edited:
1. (80-100 grains by volume) as this I believe would be the most useful to the greater number of us. Not sure how many shoot more than 100 grains but you can kill all the animals you need with 100 grains and less.

2. No preference. If your shooting to show accuracy that is specific to each gun. Just shoot over the chrony and save yourself some walking.

3. 50 cal. As I believe (perhaps ignorantly) that most of us shoot 50. But I do have two .45cal Inlines.

I look forward to your result. I only offer my opinion because you asked.

Respectfully.

No black powder ? I think that would have a bit more relevance but just my opinion as all these substitutes are trying to duplicate the original

Rick

No black powder ? I think that would have a bit more relevance but just my opinion as all these substitutes are trying to duplicate the original

Rick
No. No black powder. This is solely a black powder substitute test. And the subs aren't trying to duplicate the original. They are improving on it.

I’d suggest shooting at 100 yards.

I would shoot 80-100 grains at 50yds.
As this testing is going to be concerned with velocity, consistency and somewhat for accuracy* I've decided to split the difference and shoot at 75 yards.

* Loads for each by 80 and 100 gr volume. (All charges have been weighed out and marked.). Because these 2 loads were suggested it is likely that neither load would produce the optimum accuracy for this rifle/bullet combo but will give some type of representation of where to start.

I can understand the concept of trying to improve on the performance of black powder but they sure aren’t their yet. I know of no competitive black powder match shooters who have or are using any of these substitutes. If you check out the Schuetzen shooters and the degree of accuracy from 100 to 200 yards you’ll understand. Then the long range BPC shooters to 1000 yards where velocity spread is everything. Consistent velocity seems to be the biggest problem with these substitutes. Anyway black powder still rules where accuracy wins. Not to say the substitutes won’t suffice hunting since the killing zone on deer to elk ranges from 8-9” to 12-14”.
Rick

Last edited:
Well sir there are those on here that shoot competitively to 1000 yards and beyond and they mostly shoot T7 and BH209 and modern inlines.
They can probably shed more light on this. BH209 is very consistent and velocity leaves black powder in the dust.

Good to hear your on the line at Attebury. Hope the weather cooperates. I shot Perry twice once in the rain the other foggy, not easy. Your not shooting black powder relays next week are you ? I thought all the BP silouhette events were in June and I don’t believe you would see many, if any, competitors using anything but the real deal.
Good luck

Rick

Back