Optima V2 400+ grains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10gaugemag

Reaction score
So, since I am smarter than your average shooter I never read the owners manual that came with my Optima V2. Last night I got curious to a few things that might be in there and noticed CVA doesn't recommend bullets of over 400 grains in this rifle. Not sure if it's because of increased weight and the ability to shoot 150 grains of powder that has them concerned with higher than normal pressures or what.

I know it would be impossible for them to say, no charges of over XXX grains with bullets over 400 grains as that would lead to confusion for some.

How many of you guys are shooting heavier than 400 grain conical bullets? Noticed any lossening of the frame or other issues?

I figure I would start at 70sh grains and go up from there, hopefully hitting good accuracy before I hit 90 grains or before recoil gets too jumpy.

Maybe because they don't make anything heavier any more. They used to make a 395 and 444 but a 348 is their current heaviest .50 and .54 i believe.

Went back and looked, heavier than 400 is okay if you're using a Powerbelt, lead conicals over 400 not recommended and pellets not recommended with lead conical bullets.

Yes but the Scout frames are steel and similar to the Optima. MR series are similar to the old Apex swap barrel they used to offer.

Back