new scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After season was thinking about changing my 3x9 to a weaver v16 has anyone ever tried this and is a v16 strong enough to take the recoil it is a brand new scope in the box any opinions on it.A little more magnification would help.thanks

That should be a fine scope. Of course with the true effective range of a M-L no need to put a varmint rifle type scope on it. Yes, quality glass with adequate magnification usually helps the shooting, at the range especially. Depending on how & where one hunts, to high of a magnification can hinder shots under field conditions.

Even sitting on the edge of the proverbial 'bean field' , most respectable bucks won't likely lounge out in the open while you setup for a shot. They more likely will nervously pause near the field edge before trotting across. They can come back at night to feed.

Even out with a potential longer shot, I'm usually dialed near 4 power on the scope. Of course one can always get better quality glass for the M-L. As an example, I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 on one rifle, very clear, hardly feel the need to use 8 power.

Much of this comes down to your preference, how you shoot, where you hunt, and even individual eyesight. I have an elderly relative who stubbornly still uses his open sighted 30-30. His sight doesn't support accurate shooting, but he insists on using it. He usually gets the 'participation' trophy.

I guess it depends on what you want or need. The glass is mediocre and the cross hair in the ones I looked at was to fine for hunting and would not be good for a quick or moving shot.
I suggest you go where you can compare and take a look at a Nikon 3X12 X 42 with a good recital a long side the weaver.

These muzzies like to snort a bit occasionally and the buck that comes with the snort may call for some extra eye relief so be darned sure the scope offers enough of it so you aren't getting stitches in your eye brow on a regular basis.

MrTom said:
These muzzies like to snort a bit occasionally and the buck that comes with the snort may call for some extra eye relief so be darned sure the scope offers enough of it so you aren't getting stitches in your eye brow on a regular basis.
X2

Back