Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
1-DSCN0604_zps71de3471.jpg

I have been playing with my Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock trying to find the sabot/bullet combination it likes best. I know it shoots roundball. But it is a 1-32 twist. It should shoot sabots.

So today I wanted to shoot a flintlock. The target was still at 50 yards and I was fine with that. So I got set up and took three different sabot/bullet combinations out with me.

First up was the 300 grain Hornady XTP .452 in a crushed rib sabot. It loaded real easy. And I was shooting 80 grains of 2f black powder. But after shooting I can not say I was pleased with the accuracy. Now hit A was on a squeaky clean barrel. B-D were actually a group. And I think I could work on powder charges and make that sabot work for me. These loaded hard, and I was swabbing between shots.

I swabbed the rifle as clean as I could get it and then shot 1-4. These were 80 grains of 2f Schuetzen black powder a dark blue 40/50 sabot and the blemished 200 grain Shockwaves 40 caliber. For 50 yards and open sights I could live with that. These loaded so easy, I did not need a short starter. And I was swabbing between shots.

Last were the .40 caliber 200 grain Hornady XTP in the same dark blue sabots with the same powder charge. The stringing is a sign of either not enough or too much powder. I am guessing they want more powder. These loaded hard at first, but once in the barrel were easy to seat.

More testing is needed. But it was fun to shoot the flintlock.

:wink:
Not bad shooting there buddy :!: They all would do the trick :applause:

Ray........... :yeah:

I can and will do better. I think I need to kick the charge up a little.

I leveled off after playing with my charges at 85 grains of 2F Goex. I may try 90 my next time out at the range just to see if any changes with the POI.

Ray......... :yeah:

Might I suggest that with the 300 grn Horndy XTP bump that powder charge up to 100grns. The reason I suggest this is becauce I have a Traditions in-line with a 1: 32 and it shoots great in that. Just an idea.

I will give that a try. I want to bump all of them and see what they do. I also want to try some Parker Extreme that I picked up.

Latest posts

Back