Inspired by Idahoron with my own twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmfdred56

Reaction score
I have a tc renegade 50 Cal from when I was a kid barrel is hosed as it was when I got it. I found a company that makes a drop in barrel for these guns, I'd like to go with a 40 Cal 26" barrel. My first question is what rate of twist would you guys Go with? Second question is the barrel will come in the white, what coating would y'all go with. As of now I'm thinking a 1-18 twist, and either black ice all the metal or plum brown just the barrel. Also wanting to shoot the heaviest conical I can in this gun so that is what makes me think 1 in 18 twist.

Check out accurate molds and look at the catalog section and search for the 40 cal molds. There are some in the 300grn plus weight range. I plugged a few of the specs into a barrel twist calculator on line and came up with a twist in the range of 1-21 or 1-22 depending on the length of the bullet and MV. I can get the web site for the calculator that I use if you want it. Fun to plug numbers in and see what works. Are you planning on shooting a paper patched bullet?

I'd like to shoot something like the 40-390 from accurate seems it would be a good deer thumper! Also I'd like to get into paper patched but will start with grease groove most likely. That does sound like a fun website also if I could get the address.

Another thought I had today I think to much when I'm board is I could powder coat the barrel. I ran a powder coating business as a kid to pay for my stock car racing and still have the equipment. Also have been planning to cast and powder coat a batch of bullets to try. They do it with centre fire bullets so idk why I couldn't do it with Conicals? With just a guess of 1500fps this could WAY off I got 1-17.6 twist rate so the 1-18 may be about right?

Fmfdred56 said:
I have a tc renegade 50 Cal from when I was a kid barrel is hosed as it was when I got it. I found a company that makes a drop in barrel for these guns, I'd like to go with a 40 Cal 26" barrel. My first question is what rate of twist would you guys Go with? Second question is the barrel will come in the white, what coating would y'all go with. As of now I'm thinking a 1-18 twist, and either black ice all the metal or plum brown just the barrel. Also wanting to shoot the heaviest conical I can in this gun so that is what makes me think 1 in 18 twist.

If your statement of wanting to 'shoot the heaviest conical'... you might be asking too much as it could be huge.. Most 40 bullet guns are 1:16 or even 1:14 twist - your wanting to shoot a 40-65, but without the case capacity limitation. These will shoot conicals in the low 400gr range. I put a custom 1:16 on my son's Encore a few years back, they are a lot of fun.
Finish is your choice, but many have been pleased with black-ice.
One last note; I believe when Pedersoli Gibbs came out with their 40 cal a few years ago it was a 1:16.

Just remembered there was a group of guys out of California years ago taking these Renegades and putting 62 cal RB barrels on them. Their load was like 150-200gr BP over a 300gr +/- round ball. Forsyth method for hunting.

When I started thinking about rebuilding the renegade a buddy brought up the 62 Cal thing, honesty the intended purpose of the rifle will be deer hunting my shots are under 30 yards either way I go will be over kill lol

Well I am honored that I inspired you. Your 40 cal project sounds fun, do you plan to paper patch it? I know that is what I would do.

I plan to experiment with lubed, paper patched, powder coated, and lubed powder coated bullets in 40, 45,50, and 52 Cal.

Fmfdred56 said:
When I started thinking about rebuilding the renegade a buddy brought up the 62 Cal thing, honesty the intended purpose of the rifle will be deer hunting my shots are under 30 yards either way I go will be over kill lol

'deer 30 yards'
At that short distance - the long 40 will poke holes and the larger surface area of the 62 will KO.

Doc White used the 1-16 for his 40s. Just look at what was used in typical 40cal CF cartridges in the same fps range. Such as the 40-90 Sharps with a 370gr.

Docs suggested loads for his .410 1-16 ranged from 320gr to 400gr bullets with a max of about 90gr of Pyrodex.
http://whitemuzzleloading.com/best-loads/

So definitely bump up the twist rate can do that for sure. I'm thinking a 350 to 400 grain or bigger if I can find a mold I like 40 cal lead conical will thump any mule deer in Colorado hard enough to put it down quick. I shot my buck this year with a 472 grain 45 Cal conical and could fit 4 fingers through the holes in his lungs. Shot him at 15 yards with 70 grains of ff777 he barely even kicked.

Fmfdred56 said:
I plan to experiment with lubed, paper patched, powder coated, and lubed powder coated bullets in 40, 45,50, and 52 Cal.

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on powder coating lead bullets?
We played with aerosol graphite spray (looks black) years ago on Paper Patch bullets (after they were patched) and could not determined any difference in accuracy.

The powder coat is the same concept as paper patch just a different way of getting there. It's gaining popularity in center fire to the point that I believe it was federal that came out with a line of factory ammo, loaded with powder coated bullets.

Fmfdred56 said:
So definitely bump up the twist rate can do that for sure. I'm thinking a 350 to 400 grain or bigger if I can find a mold I like 40 cal lead conical will thump any mule deer in Colorado hard enough to put it down quick. I shot my buck this year with a 472 grain 45 Cal conical and could fit 4 fingers through the holes in his lungs. Shot him at 15 yards with 70 grains of ff777 he barely even kicked.
400 to 410 gr would be a good choice . With no excuse 410 gr conicals I can 4 to 6 inch groups at 400 yards
4 on a good day 6 on most any day . Touching holes at 100 yards .

Latest posts

Back